Travelling to London from Swindon/Oxford

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Waiting_For_Godot

Travelling to London from Swindon/Oxford

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

Gloucester hasn't been to badly affected by the snow but OH has to drive to London tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone knew what the A40 from Cheltenham - London is like, or the A419 to Swindon and then the M4 to London. OH would walk through hot coals to get to work :roll: and he is insisting on driving back to London so I'm hoping a kind member can give me some tangible proof that it is not safe to do so. :wink:
Sally-Anne

Re: Travelling to London from Swindon/Oxford

Post by Sally-Anne »

Take a look at the BBC traffic news. The A40/M40 are impassable in several places.

Bucks/Berks/West Herts/London are a complete white-out at present and the forecast is for that to continue until the early hours of tomorrow morning.

He would be completely nuts to even think about it.
Waiting_For_Godot

Thanks Sally-Anne, although I may not mention the "nuts" bit as that will make him dig his heels in deeper! :wink:
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

If he is daft enough to attempt it Tipsy, make sure he has the essentials.

Warm coat, hat, gloves, scarf, boots, shovel, blanket, hot drinks, food, packet of sweets and a small drink to slip in his pocket should he need to get out and walk and finally, a fully charged 'phone.

Oh, and maybe an ipod/mp3 player to stave off the boredom when he has to spend hours and hours and hours stuck in the snow.
Waiting_For_Godot

A shovel? I wish! I have just cleared our large drive of 3 inches of snow with a dog chewed broom because OH doesn't possess a shovel. Just as I finished the snow started. :x

Thanks for the advice though, I will pack all these things and hide them in the boot as he would think it unnecessary. :roll:
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I believe the M4 is ok, because my OH has just made it the other way successfully. Getting on it from our end was a nightmare because the smaller roads have impacted snow over ice, and cars aren't getting anywhere fast. But yes, a shovel, flask, clothes and snacks are needed, also make sure the scooshers (you know what I mean) are full as its very dirty out there
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Scooshers???????

Do you mean the water reservoir for the windscreen wipers?

And if that's what you do mean, it wouldn't hurt to take a spare bottle with some water and anti-freeze mix already in it in the boot either. As you say, it's dirty out there and it's amazing how quickly you can use it up - have you ever tried driving with a really dirty windscreen? You know why these things were invented if you have!
Looking for help

Snowdrops wrote:Scooshers???????

Do you mean the water reservoir for the windscreen wipers?

us Scottish people are tight with our words, why use 6 when one will do :D
Looking for help

Everyone home safe, so that's good. Up to date info...motorways all clear, M4 /M5 no problems....once you come off, need to take extra care, roads in West London/Home Counties really poor, probably going to ice over tonight, so good luck to travellers, make sure you have everything you need before you set out.
Waiting_For_Godot

Not pleased the M4 is good, was really hoping OH would travel down tomorrow instead of cutting weekend short by driving early today in the daylight. :( Thanks for the info! :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now