About eton college

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sunho

About eton college

Post by sunho »

My friend's son applied pre-entrance exam in 11 year-old time in eton college they have prepared that exam from overseas, could you please refer some information and preparation exam papers? how could he prepare exam? are there english, math verbal and non-verbal exams in 11 years old? is it ok to buy some materials from this website and study?is there any book and papers to be recommended strongly? please give them any information
Last edited by sunho on Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elizabeth

Re: About eton college

Post by Elizabeth »

Hello, I do not know a great deal about the entrance exam other than what I have read on the internet. Are you aware that even if your son passes the test now it will only ensure him a conditional entry into year 9, and that he will have to take another exam when he is 13 to guarantee his place at Eton.
Their website says that the assessment taken at age eleven consists of an interview, a reasoning test and a report from the boy’s current school.
I would ring the school if I was you to confirm exactly what it is they mean by 'reasoning'. Assuming they mean both verbal and non verbal reasoning, there are an awful lot of resources to be found on this site and indeed all over the internet.
Good Luck.
"A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops."
Henry B. Adams
harrow123

Post by harrow123 »

sunho wrote:My son applied pre-entrance exam in 11 year-old time in eton college we, i and he have prepared that exam from overseas, could you please refer some information and preparation exam papers? how could i prepare exam? are there english, math verbal and non-verbal exams in 11 years old? is it ok to buy some materials from this website and study?is there any book and papers to be recommended strongly? please give me any information
my frend's son appeared for 11+ and he recd confirmation that he passed his exam also

how come ur son still did not write the exam, is it a late applicant or some other date becaz overseas etc
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

The test is a computerised test which, apparently, cannot be tutored for. :( DS got a conditional offer and can't remember a thing about it however the interview is of key importance and a boys other talents and his personality. It is rare for them to pick a boy who is only academic, unless his test results are unusually high. Your son will also have to be fairly fluent in English.

Eton do not just take the top 250 based on exam results. In fact they only take the top 30% and the rest is based on a number of qualities as mentioned above so in theory a boy who got the lowest academic marks could get a place.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Sunho

The Eton entrance test is a computerised entrance test run by the Univ of Durham CEM. The test is based on their GetINTU product.(Internet Testing Unit)

You can find details about the test at:-

http://www.pipsproject.org/RenderPage.a ... D=31710000

There is a demonstration web site at :-

https://www.intuproject.org/demos/entra ... fault.aspx

Hope this helps

Sorry should add that the Eton test is a bespoke digital entrance test not the std PIPS product
sunho

Post by sunho »

thanks for reply my post
he 's going 11 next year , not this year and could you tell me the resources from this web site to buy and study to help him? which one is better e-papers or cd?
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

You need to speak to the school directly as they probably have different tests for overseas pupils. There are also agencies within most foreign countries that deal with admissions to overseas boarding schools so you should begin the process through them first.
sunho

Post by sunho »

thanks for replying my post ,, i think i get the precious info from this website i ll contact the school tks
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now