Appeals in Bucks

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
cherrypicker

Appeals in Bucks

Post by cherrypicker »

Why not simply award places on the basis of SATS scores?
Test at the end of year 5 or January of year 6 with a national test and award places to the top scores?

The Bucks system can be considered to discriminate against people who do not have English as their first language.
Why test VR, why not NVR or maths, which do not rely on "English"?

Is Bucks test designed to ensure they exclude students on ethnic basis?
Testing just one area makes little sense and is outdated.
hermanmunster

Re: Appeals in Bucks

Post by hermanmunster »

cherrypicker wrote:Why not simply award places on the basis of SATS scores?
Test at the end of year 5 or January of year 6 with a national test and award places to the top scores?
Trouble is that, as I understand it, SATS are a test of what has been learnt rather than ability. best to have kids who are quick learners and good problem solvers. Also about 35% of kids gets 5s - not all can go to GS

The Bucks system can be considered to discriminate against people who do not have English as their first language.
Why test VR, why not NVR or maths, which do not rely on "English"?
English is the main official language of this country. I would not expect to my children to pass selective school exams in Germany, France or Italy as they do not speak the languages well enough.
Is Bucks test designed to ensure they exclude students on ethnic basis?
Testing just one area makes little sense and is outdated.
I suppose they test what they consider best for choosing the kids they want. Any number of children are better at one type of work than another. I am better at science and maths and not a lot of good at learning foreign languages, or creative writing. Obviously did enough to get into a selective school, but was careful in choosing A levels.
Jules7

Re: Appeals in Bucks

Post by Jules7 »

My DD is of very mixed ethnic origin; her English is and needs to be at the standard required by a GS to teach at the depth and pace required. There is nothing discriminatory about this.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now