Habs papers

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ritz667

Habs papers

Post by ritz667 »

Hi

read in a post that habs boys only get interviewed if they score 85% or above in all test papers, is this correct?

many thanks

Ritz667
mushroom

Re: Habs papers

Post by mushroom »

Although I have my doubts about this it may have been correct for that particular year. The difficulty of the papers varies year by year, either intentionally or by accident, so the marks people get will also differ. What matters is not the actual percentage achieved in the papers but your son's performance in relation to others sitting the exam.

For the 100 or so places on offer they will interview well over 200 (I think it was around 250 the year my son sat the exam). So as long as your son ends up being in the top 35% he will stand a good chance whatever the actual score he gets.

Good luck if he is sitting the exam today.
Pushy Dad

Re: Habs papers

Post by Pushy Dad »

When my son came out of the exams he said that he missed out 5 of the 30 maths questions. That meant that even if he got most of the remaining 25 right then he could only score a max of low 80s.

His English is a bit weak so we were hoping that a strong maths score would pull up his average. So we were prepared for the worst. Needless to say we estatic when the interview letter arrived.

My son plays a number of musical instruments to a high standard. That may have made up for the maths. Or maybe other kids found it hard as well.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now