When do schools know result?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Fiona

Results

Post by Fiona »

Hi WUAS,

Yes, but the head can still appeal on your childs behalf!

fiona
Wish Upon A Star

Post by Wish Upon A Star »

Hi Fiona,

Thanks again...That's what we were also told at the info. evening.I still think parents should be informed what is happening {if anything} at each stage though. :roll:

Good luck to your child for results day!

Regards, W U A S.

Post by Guest »

Hi Everyone, Just been reading through this very useful message board and I wondered what 236 means as a score. May be I am being a bit dim, but how does this equate to the tests that the children have done? How does the authority arrive at this score?
Wish Upon A Star

Why 236???

Dear Guest,

Well, I too wish I knew the answer to that particular question.

Here in Wirral, the children sit two 11+ exams and each have 80 questions.

These are maked and then a standardised score is given to take into account the childs age to make the result fairer.

How {and why} the 'magic' pass score of 236 is reached is a mystery to me.

Perhaps Mike or Patricia can help with the answer please { :?: }.

W U A S

Post by Guest »

Thank you for your reply.

I have looked over the whole forum and another area suggests children need a score of 350. I don't know how they are arriving at such a figure, but I don't understand why there is a lack of transparency. If I knew what 350, or 236 meant, I would at least have enough information to put me out of my misery! Why does one area need 350 and another only need 236, or am I missing the point here!

Post by Guest »

Same guest here. I can only deduce from the silence, that no one actually understands what the scores mean. It seems incredible that a Headteacher even gives this information out to parents, since it really means nothing to them and doesn't help at all. I will repeat my plea - what do these scores mean?
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hello Guest

A possible reason for no response is that this topic has, for me, been exhausted elsewhere on the site.

There is a link to NFER where an explanation for standardisation exists.

The cut-off point in Wirral is determined by the scores of all the children taking the tests within the Authority (not Nationally). Different authorities will have different standardised scores because different tests are sat. There is no fixed national eleven plus entrance tests and there is no single body administering the tests.

In the Wirral there are two tests of 80 questions each, giving a Raw score maximum of 160.

The Raw score is compared to a Standardised Table that takes into account date of birth.

It is probable that the Standardised Table changes each year because of slight variances in the range and mean of the raw score. This makes it difficult to predict accurately what raw score is needed to pass the test.

It is estimated that a raw score in the region of 82% should be enough for a pass in the Wirral.

Regards

Mike

Post by Guest »

Mike - thank you for your reply. I am very confused by the scoring issue and I think now, after a period of relaxation after the 11+, beginning to worry about the results.

Regards
Wish Upon A Star

Dear Guest,

I know exactly what you are going through and there is very little we can do other than WAIT for the result!
Atleast all the 11+ prep. gives you something positive and productive to do. I think that's the main problem actually, feeling as though it is all out of our hands now!

I feel its best maybe to try and stop analysing and guessing how our children performed on the day, and in respect to how others did, ages etc and just sit back and chill until results day! :wink:

Good luck!

Regards,
W U A S

Post by Guest »

I agree absolutely and my son seems to have forgotten all about it. I am thankful for this forum as it helps me to rant a bit and no one in my household would listen! :wink:

Best wishes to everyone - reading the appeals section on the Buckinghamshire thread is very sad. Hearing the news about how poor Britain's schools are is also rather worrying. I am sure they can't all be that bad (or so I keep telling myself)

Thanks for listening!