State Grammar boarding schools for GIRLS

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

harrow123

State Grammar boarding schools for GIRLS

Post by harrow123 »

Are there any State grammar schools offering boarding facilities for Girls in England, distance from home does not matter as it is a boarding school

Help appreciated
KeepCool

Re: State Grammar boarding schools for GIRLS

Post by KeepCool »

No, I'm afraid there aren't. 8) Unless of course you count Correctional Facilities in/around Mayfair :lol:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Most are Co ed

One I know of takes girls only - St Brigid's Denbigh

http://www.sbsa.org.uk/find_school.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Here is the list of state boarding which includes some GS. http://www.sbsa.org.uk/find_school.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edited to add: too slow! Herman beat me to it. :oops:
KeepCool

Post by KeepCool »

Gosh - I'm so sorry. I had no idea there were state boarding schools :shock:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

No probs KC! They are quite useful for some families who want a boarding school but can't afford the full cost of a private school, so they just pay the boarding fees at the school.

Some are GS eg lancaster, ripon, reading etc Lancaster have a fair few who live in Cumbria - bit far to commute daily. Ermysteds used to have boarders from the wilds of the dales.
There is one for kids who live in the Scilies. Others have some kids from families living overseas - but they have to be british / EU citizens
KeepCool

Post by KeepCool »

Well, I really am staggered! Do they have good reputations?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

yes many of them do (probably all ... only know a few) . Some are non selective (academically) and get very good results (Wymondham) , some do aptitude tests (Hockerill languages???), others are very successful GS.

The only problem can be is that they often have relatively small boarding numbers eg Ashby have 50 when the school take > 1000, Not always the case though eg Sexey's have about 50% boarders and Duke of Yorks military is 100% boarding

PS Harrow 123 - Westgate have girls only boarding but is a mixed school for day pupils
KeepCool

Post by KeepCool »

Thank you Herman! I wish I'd known about these schools years ago. Would have loved for mine to board. :cry:
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

DD attends Ripon Grammar (as a day pupil) and some of her friends are boarders. They all seem to love it and are kept very active. Some do go home at weekends.

Ripon take 14 boarders each year, and it seems a very nice family atmosphere I have to say!

PS: the school itself is great too :D :D :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now