Help. Lively son's attitude to work, is Tiffin an option?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Mumble

Help. Lively son's attitude to work, is Tiffin an option?

Post by Mumble »

I'm becoming a bit exasperated with DS lately. He's a sunny natured boy, but easily distracted, chatty and silly. He's been getting into trouble with his teachers and is driving us a bit bonkers at home too. He has a lot of energy and loves making us all laugh, but he also doesnt' know when to stop. He's in year 4. Possibly it's just a phase, but I have to drag resonable homework out of him. It's a battle getting him to sit still and focus on work without masses of crossings out and some reluctance.

Re secondary choices, the easiest thing would be to send DS to Outstanding local comp and let him find his own level and sort himself out. BUT I'm not convinced it would work. DS seems to be attracted to boys with attitude, and goes all starry eyed when he's with them. (I worked at this school, so know just how bad the bad boys can be). Alternatively if OH and I decided to go for Tiffin route, then we'd need to start tutoring DS next year - just round the corner! Helping DS with schoolwork NOW is giving me grey hairs as it is!

DS in the top maths group, second English group and plays the guitar well. We could try for Tiffin, but possibly he's just not the right candidate. The thought of doing all the homework with him is very daunting, but perhpas a tutor to help with that too. It's difficult to know exactly what to do. Perhaps he actually needs stage school!
Gorgeous

Re: Help. Lively son's attitude to work, is Tiffin an option

Post by Gorgeous »

:lol: just a normal boy then! I wouldn't worry about it - you will notice a difference in him in year 5/6. He's just acting his age, but obviously does have a lot of energy so you must be feeding him all the right things. You may find when he starts doing NVR type stuff, it helps to focus his mind, at least. Give it a go - you've got nothing to lose. :)
Mumble

Post by Mumble »

Thanks Gorgeous, glad you think DS normal, that's good to know. I'm prob being bit harsh, esp if I compare DS to older DD who's a natural scholar and calm. And a fair few friends with boys be-moan the high spirits and lack of focus of young DS's. I wonder if that's really why boys were traditionally privately educated but girls not so much??!!
doodles

Post by doodles »

Mumble wrote: I wonder if that's really why boys were traditionally privately educated but girls not so much??!!
No, I think historically that was more to do with it not being "worth" educating women when all they were going to do was have babies!!!!! and not work!!!!!

My DS1 is also lively, sports loving and can be a bit of a clown but we went the tutor route for him and he responded very well to her - they "clicked" and he would do his homework for her without a murmur. I think that you will find that another year will make a big difference.