Appeal query (Bucks)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mm23292

Re: Appeal query (Bucks)

Post by mm23292 »

Thank you so much Etienne, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. I wasn't intending to mention my doubts over the Quantitative test, I was throwing everything in the bag here for comment, worthy or not, so your feedback is very helpful and will be taken on board to the letter! Thank you again :)
mm23292

Post by mm23292 »

Long awaited appeal pack has finally arrived. Have been anxious about the HT predictions, and here they are for what it is worth..
1.1 11(10)
1.2 12(8)
1.3 1(0)
2.1 1(1)
2.2 26(10)

I have only taken the unshaded area, as the detail says this represents the positive recommendations..there was also 11(0) in the 2.3 shaded area, but presume this doesn't count?? Interestingly, the past two years have seen a significant decrease in overall pass rate for the school..not sure if this is relevant in any way..

On the basis of the above, and DD 2.2...how might the HT predictions and any comments regarding her suitability be viewed?

Thank you so much for your time, and apologies for all these questions!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Can't really add to the guidance in the Q&As:
Possible interpretation of a headteacher's overall recommendations can be found in E9d(iv).
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... laneous#e9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
mm23292

Post by mm23292 »

Thank you for the pointer Etienne, all seems clear from this. And thank you Sally-Anne for the contact, which having just returned from the appointment, I am even more confused! Apparently, DD has an extremely low phonemic segmentation score, which was one mark away from an LD diagnosis, and is reflected elsewhere in her tests. When I explained the 3+ yr disparity between her school tested reading age and spelling age, she said that made perfect sense. In addition to that, this ties up with the type of question she always lost her marks on in the practice papers, and having read the test analysis I received, that too. Her verbal and semantic fluency were 91+ PR, and graphic speed was 98th..which probably contributed towards her ease at finishing papers..but she feels this phonemic problem, would have been a definite handicap.
We never knew this, so I am shocked, although I have always queried her writing many times with the teachers, it was always dismissed as something she would grow out of..and it seems it has been her excellent memory recall that has been at play in her spelling tests, and not any use of phonemics!
The appeal is next week, and of course this has not been mentioned anywhere before. Do you think this will make a difference? Her WRAT Maths score was only 112..80th PR..but I'm just plucking scores from a sheet that means little to me at this stage. The full report will follow in a few days time. Basically, is this significant in any way? A verbal handicap which ties in with her test downfall but an only 'above average' maths score, is it worth using? And if it is..is it too late?

Can't thank you enough for this forum, would be completely lost without :?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

My feeling about this at the moment is that:
1. You need to see what the full report says
2. We need to see exactly how many working days are left between receiving the report and the hearing date
3. Depending on how much time is left, it may be necessary to ring the appeals team for their advice

If you decide to use the report, but there is insufficient time to submit it, it would be possible to turn up to the hearing with 5 spare copies, but it would then be up to the panel to decide whether they have time to consider it properly - or whether to adjourn to a later date.
Etienne
mm23292

Post by mm23292 »

Etienne, I received the report this afternoon and it is quite a comprehensive read, unfortunately, it doesn't make things much clearer from an appeal perspective. If anything, it is less so! DD appears to have shown some signs of dyslexia, but it doesn't seem more conclusive than that. Also, apart from verbal and semantic fluency being in the 98th percentile, everything else seems above average, rather than superior, so I am inclined to think this is likely to be viewed as a negative. The EP did say, that it was difficult to quantify the impact on her VR ability, other than to say that it definitely is a constraint. Her summary includes the following "..a girl of above average verbal intelligence who has difficulty identifying the sounds that make up words and a relatively weak working memory. This has an impact on her spelling scores and has impacted her 11+ result. The breakdown of her 11+ results shows that DD did better on questions which required comprehension than she did in questions which required spelling. DD’s difficulties with phonology and working memory do not interfere with her comprehension or Maths scores and she should be able to succeed in an academic school".
In hindsight, there were so many frustrating signs..could memorize weekly spellings and get 20/20 everytime, but couldn't spell the same word next time, mixing letters up, copying text incorrectly, an almost phobic loathing of being encouraged to use a dictionary..all things I had been putting down to carelessness or unwillingness to help herself, and now I feel I have in some way let her down.
Is this report a help or a hindrance? I am totally confused. The HTR looks reasonably credible based on HT predictions...it is a high performing school, and she is in upper sets for everything where most of her peers are heading to GS, yet she has managed to keep this serious constraint underwraps for so long. Should I just stick with the school evidence I have, and hope for the best? Or should I submit the EP report too, in the hope that the experience and wisdom of the panel will drive the decision that is simply best for her, whatever the outcome.. I would really appreciate any thoughts you have on this. Thank you so much.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Very difficult for me to comment without seeing the full report, but it sounds as if it may not do much to strengthen your case, and could therefore become a distraction. If you feel uncomfortable about using it, that is sometimes an indication that it might be better not to submit it.
Etienne
mm23292

Post by mm23292 »

Yes, I certainly feel uneasy about it, over complicates things, but also I am now wondering whether GS really is the best route, despite what any 'credible' HT recommends. Is it at all possible for you to take a quick glance at the report, perhaps you are familiar with the content from your panel experience?? I am not sure how to post information privately, and apologies if I am asking the impossible.
Thank you for all your help
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Hi, mm23292

If you have access to a scanner and can email the report to the Appeals Box, I'll try and have a look at it. Probably won't be until the weekend, however.

Instructions for the Appeals Box are here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =35&t=9907" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
mm23292

Post by mm23292 »

Thank you Etienne, I have emailed the report to the appeals box.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now