why non-verbal reasoning?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
justwondering

why non-verbal reasoning?

Post by justwondering »

Dear anyone,

Can anyone please tell me why some areas (like Essex) have a verbal reasoning test and others have a non-verbal reasoning test? Given that there are english and maths papers in essex too, I'd have thought non-verbal reasoning would be a better balance? I have a son who has dyslexic 'tendencies' (no firm diagnosis) - I'd have thought a non-verbal reasoning paper would represent a more level playing field for those with learning difficulties and maybe those for whom english may not be the first language? I reckon my son would have more than a fighting chance on non-verbal reasoning, but more questionable prospects on verbal... so just wondering if anyone has any insight (and is it likely to change again in the coming few years...?)

Thanks a lot
tammy

Post by tammy »

redbridge test non verbal as well as verbal testing.
nonverbal is supposed to predict how well a child picks up new concepts especailly with regards to maths and science,
At Ilford county the children here largely go on to study science based degrees on leaving school.
However the children that get into theses schools tend not to be the brightest children in english and maths but just well tutored in nvr and vr.