NVR Tiffin

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
pist

NVR Tiffin

Post by pist »

Hello,

First of all good luck and fingers crossed for all of your boys and girls who have done Tiffin's today!

I am new to this brilliant forum and about to start the journey of preparation for Tiffin Girls' exam next year with my oldest daughter. I think we will start out DIY-style and have scoured previous posts for your excellent recommendations and now have a pretty good idea which books to buy etc.

Just wondered if anyone (if you can bear it at this time!) Have some opinions on which books/papers are best and maybe in which order for NVR? For VR I'll start out following Patricia's expert recommendations (thank you!)and just wondered if anyone could tell me which NVR papers/books they think are easier, so better to start with and harder so better for nearer the end etc etc? If I have read you right, the books to go for are GL, AFN, IPS, AE, Athey (Bonds?)?

Thanks for a brilliant forum!
:D Pist
bagesh

Re: NVR Tiffins

Post by bagesh »

I am also looking for a similar response for Tiffin Boys & Langley Grammar.
Thanks in advance.
Shaftsbury1

Post by Shaftsbury1 »

Hello pist and bagesh......welcome to the forum.

Nvr is a tough one to prepare for. The tiffin test is prepared by Nfer and they don't have a guide book; only 4 tests available. So the types of questions covered in them are the types in the tiffin test.

My preperation for nvr was very haphazard..........because i started with bond.....only to find, from this site, that the types of questions are not all relevant;but having said that i felt that the guide book is very good for dcs to learn how to tackle nvr.

I found the Ae tuition guide book brilliant and my only regret was finding it so late!
Again not all the types in the ae tuition are in the tiffin, but i think (if i remember correctly) is closer to nfer than other companies,followed by ips.

I am sure someone will come along with more detailed advice as to the level of difficulty and suitability of the various companies, but i thought i should warn you that not all types of questions,such as cubes,are relevant and are better avoided.

Hope that helps a little
Sh1
Doblinski

Post by Doblinski »

(Apols if obvious) There's also a section dedicated to NVR on this site that you might find useful too - here's the link

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... um.php?f=4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pist

Post by pist »

Thanks Shaftsbury1 and Doblinski

- yes I have looked/am looking at the NVR section too, but must confess that after a couple of days spent surfing around, mostly on this forum, my head is spinning a just a bit :shock: Have a list of posssible books as long as my arm, so wondering a bit which are most relevant to Tiffins and where to start........

:) pist
QUEENMA

Re: NVR Tiffin

Post by QUEENMA »

Hi
Can't agree more....the more I read the more tensed and confused I get ...there seems to be soooo much to cover.There is lots of info on verbal reasoning - (but again seems like a vast portion to cover)...But then hardly enough guidance on non-verbal reasoning - have to admit I find them tricky myself ( and I have not been a 'weak' student myself !! )
Plus schools seem to be in a mood to change things for the sept 2012 entry -Non Such is consulting on introducing comprehension and Wallington is changing its radius criteria !!
Plus the independent schools to think of as back up !!
All parents who have gone thru this please HELP !!
Doblinski

Post by Doblinski »

Try Bond New Edition 'How to do 11+ Non Verbal Reasoning'book by Nelson Thomas ISBN 978-0-7487-8121-8. A4 sized slim paperback with yellow cover.

It breaks each type of puzzle down into constituent parts and then can you can do some tests for each section yourself. DD found it invaluable.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

If you have time there are the AE tuition books which take you through each step slowly.

Games like Tetris, jigsaws, spot the difference, online mahjong type games etc are really good for building NVR skills too
harrow123

Post by harrow123 »

For NVR

use

AE tution books
Bond How to do NVR
Bond 3rd, more third, 4th and more third papers

GL assemement papers
Letts papers

And all the papers that you see in shops or on the internet if you have time
QUEENMA

Post by QUEENMA »

Thank you all for your tips - much appreciated !
Queenma
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now