Scholarship exam for Kingston Grammar

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

nada

Scholarship exam for Kingston Grammar

Post by nada »

My DD had an entrance exam in KGS last Friday and they called her to sit another exam tomorrow for scholarship. Any idea how difficult this scholarship exam is in comparison to the first one? Also, does anybody know how much is KGS' scholarship? Many thanks.
hermanmunster

Re: Scholarship exam for Kingston Grammar

Post by hermanmunster »

From the website:
Scholarships and Awards
Twenty Academic Scholarships to the value of 10% of the Tuition Fees may be awarded on the results of the Main School Entrance Examination at 11+. These may be augmented by a means tested bursary. The Scholarships may include a Hans Woyda Memorial Scholarship for a candidate of outstanding Mathematical ability. Four further Academic Scholarships to the value of 10% of the Tuition Fee may be awarded to candidates on entry at 13+. Up to 6 awards worth 20% of the fees are available for candidates entering the Sixth Form. Separately, four Music Scholarships (10% of fees) are available for candidates at 11+, 13+ or 16+, with auditions taking place at the end of January of the year of entry; there are also four Art Scholarships (10% of fees) available for candidates at 11+, 13+ or 16+. Eight Sports Awards (10% of fees) for candidates demonstrating outstanding sporting potential are available at 11+,13+ and 16+. All scholarships may be augmented by a means tested bursary. Further details can be obtained from the Registrar.

Scholarships are held subject to satisfactory progress and conduct being maintained. In the event of a Scholar not fulfilling these terms, a Scholarship may be withdrawn.
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

Firstly congratulations to your DS. I am sure it is a real confidence boost.
Ooh looks like they have reduced the amount scholarships are worth. It used to be 50%. My son was offered one some years ago. The scholarship exam was English and Maths and from what I remember the maths was much harder than main exam and longer, few if any of the boys who were awarded a scholarships finished the paper, so perhaps this was not intended. We were given a date at the scholarship exam for the interview. There were three interviews, maths (they went through their errors in the paper and taught them to see how receptive the boys were), Eng and general. All very friendly and my son enjoyed those. Hope that's helpful.
Chocmonster

Post by Chocmonster »

Hi nada, congratulations to your ds with the scholarship exam, how did she feel it went, was it very difficult,
wishing her lots of luck
nada

Post by nada »

Chocmonster, thanks. It was two years ago and she did get scholarship.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now