Some Appeal stats (for Sept 2009 entry)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Dad40

Some Appeal stats (for Sept 2009 entry)

Post by Dad40 »

Some interesting stats from Bucks CC. The stats relate to children starting secondary school (Year 7) in September 2009 and it was compiled from data taken at the very end of the summer break before the 2009 autumn term.
The columns of numbers and percentages are as follows:

Column 1: Total children achieving that VRTS
Column 2: Children attending Bucks LA primary school
Column 3: Children attending a non Bucks LA primary school
Column 4: Children attending Bucks LA primary school that lodged a selection appeal
Column 5: Percentage of Bucks LA children with VRTS lodging an appeal
Column 6: Children attending a Bucks LA primary school that were successful at selection appeal
Column 7: Percentage of Bucks children winning appeal
Column 8: Children attending a non Bucks LA primary school that lodged a selection appeal
Column 9: Percentage of non Bucks LA children with VRTS lodging an appeal
Column 10: Children attending a non Bucks LA primary school that were successful at selection appeal
Column 11: Percentage of non Bucks children winning appeal

Code: Select all

Columns	                                    1	  2	 3    4    5	 6    7	  8	  9	 10   11
Number that achieved a final VRTS of 120	  153	84	69	81	96%	65	80%	49	71%	41	84%
Number that achieved a final VRTS of 119	  160	80	80	73	91%	51	70%	49	61%	28	57%
Number that achieved a final VRTS of 118	  137	75	62	68	91%	34	50%	38	61%	11	29%
Number that achieved final VRTS of   117	  171	94	77	75	80%	28	37%	39	51%	11	28%
Number that achieved final VRTS of   116	  186	85	101  58	68%	18	31%	37	37%	 7	19%
Dad40

Re: Some Appeal stats (for Sept 2009 entry)

Post by Dad40 »

My own observations of these stats:

1. If the VRTS is 116 -120, you are more likely than not to go to appeal.

2. A very high proportion of Bucks candidates (>90%) with scores of 118-120 go to appeal. I suspect a proportion of them don't have headteacher support but they do it anyway (?)

3. OOCs are much less likely to lodge an appeal on any VRTS between 116 and 120. They are presumably more willing to take up a preference closer to home (?)

But most curiously....

4. OOCs are generally less successful at winning their appeals than Bucks appellents [comparing columns 7 and 11]...........Now why would that be the case?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

OOCs are generally less successful at winning their appeals than Bucks appellents [comparing columns 7 and 11]...........Now why would that be the case?
A good question, Dad40. I never encountered the slightest intentional bias against out of county appellants. The problem, I think, is that OoC parents and OoC schools are not always sufficiently 'clued up' about what is needed for this type of appeal, and the range of academic evidence they put forward can sometimes be quite limited. If they were to read this site (for example, http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), they might be in a stronger position.

There are of course some OoC schools with close links to Bucks which have a better understanding of the system. Equally, there are schools in some areas where the LA positively discourages any co-operation with the 11+, and where headteachers are instructed not to go out of their way to provide support.

However much an appeal panel sympathises with parents who are ill-equipped for the process, they can only allow a selection appeal if they are given sufficient evidence.
Etienne
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

Etienne wrote:There are of course some OoC schools with close links to Bucks which have a better understanding of the system. Equally, there are schools in some areas where the LA positively discourages any co-operation with the 11+, and where headteachers are instructed not to go out of their way to provide support.

However much an appeal panel sympathises with parents who are ill-equipped for the process, they can only allow a selection appeal if they are given sufficient evidence.
Thanks for that. I'm particularly interested in your comment about some LAs actively discouraging co-operation with the 11+. Can you say which ones?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I have never heard of this being a specific instruction from the LA, but I have noticed that some Heads in Herts are less willing to cooperate with parents on Bucks appeals.

S-A
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

Thanks.

Conversely, this should give a tiny bit more comfort to Bucks appellants because the general appeal stats that Bucks CC publish are skewed (downwards) by the OOCs.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dad40 wrote:Thanks for that. I'm particularly interested in your comment about some LAs actively discouraging co-operation with the 11+. Can you say which ones?
Here's an (unnamed) example in the Q&As:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- I'd rather not name names in case my information is not up-to-date, but I certainly used to hear appeals involving children from one or two London boroughs where the headteacher had written "I am sorry that I cannot be of assistance with regard to X's 11+ appeal, as it would be against the policy of my LA".

Even where there is no specific policy in place, there can often be primary schools where headteachers decline to co-operate because they themselves do not approve of the 11+.
Here's an example from Glos.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... rt#p208192" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now