Letter from Sutton Grammar School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

bugsbunny

Letter from Sutton Grammar School

Post by bugsbunny »

Has anyone else got an email advise from SGS about the entrance exam taken in November last year?
mitasol

Re: Letter from Sutton Grammar School

Post by mitasol »

One report here by EQchick
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... lit=sutton" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
EQchick

Post by EQchick »

Hi,

I had a feeling I'd posted in the wrong forum. We got an email yesterday regarding our son's test for Sutton Grammar. He passed, but we have no idea of the score or if he'll get a place. We were taken by surprise because we hadn't expected to hear anything until March 1st when the offers came out.

My son was one of ten boys from his school who sat the test. From what I can gather, only three of them passed.

We're not counting any chickens at all as we simply have no idea how many children passed.

~EQ~
atestingtime

Post by atestingtime »

We got an email too and it had good news that DS had passed. Nice to know result but I was surprised as it was unexpected and in a strange way doesnt really change anything - CAF form in and nothing to do now but wait till NOD in March.

Who wants to take my bet that the Results website crashes at about 4:59 pm on March 1st?!
melinda

Post by melinda »

This appears unusual as they have never sent out e mails before - indeed it seems a bit pointless now. Maybe this is a new process, but can't think what anyone would gain from it because passing does not guarantee a place.
999 mum

Post by 999 mum »

There were 1486 boys tested for admission to Sutton Grammar School for the 120 available
places for entry in September 2010. 438 of the boys tested were deemed to be of selective
ability.
The above info is from http://www.suttongrammar.sutton.sch.uk/ ... ta2011.pdf

I don't know whether this info helps or hinders.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

knowing the results after the CAF and before March 1st doesn't really help! particularly as just passing doesn't gurantee and place...
EQchick

Post by EQchick »

They haven't sent out emails previously. At least they haven't done for the past three years, which I discovered when talking to parents with children at SG.

I agree it's not particularly helpful, but it does make us think that, yes, he has a chance, so we feel uplifted. But if we'd got an email saying he hadn't passed then I'm not sure what we would have done. It would have helped us fix on private alternatives, I suppose (we do have an offer for Ewell Castle and the test for City of London next Monday) but it's odd that they've decided to send the emails.

There's no indication how many passed, either, which is annoying.

~EQ~
MertonMum

Post by MertonMum »

I think its quite helpful to know that my DS has passed. Even if we don't get the school of our choice it means our children are likely to do well in the future, that they have gained great Maths & English skills, that they can work under pressure and should they end up in the local school as against the grammar school then they are likely to be in the top set. Of course it doesn't take away from the waiting though......
Which brings me back to my original post - why does it take the authorities so long to give us an answer regarding our school choices. It seems an incredibly long time from end Oct to beginning of March. I honestly can't believe in this era of exceptional technology that the process needs to take so long! Its the waiting that is so awful. I think the authorities really need to speed up the process........
admissionslady

Post by admissionslady »

Hello everyone

Just thought I'd explain the reasoning behind sending these emails/letters. We are responding to very strong parental pressure to have some information as soon as we know it. Parents seem to want to manage their child's expectations, and parents whose sons have not passed the test and who are considering independent schools as an alternative will be able to commit to paying deposits etc.

I quite agree that if you have passed you are no nearer knowing whether your son has a place. We would be breaking the rules if we gave out any information which would enable you to conclude that you have a place at SGS, as it could be seen as making an offer. Even telling you how many have passed could give you more information that we are allowed to give.

For example, if the number of passes was very low you would be able to conclude that everyone who passed who ranked SGS high would be able to get a place. I'm not saying this has happened! Just an example to show you how careful we have to be when we send out information.

This is why I've asked you not to call me - I can see it could be a very frustrating conversation for both sides!

But I hope those boys who have passed have been given a little bit of a boost

The Boroughs make the offers on the 1st March (no doubt the date is engraved on your heart).

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now