School changing to single sex. . .

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

jabber

School changing to single sex. . .

Post by jabber »

Hi all, I'm need of a bit of educational advice, and having used this site to previously fight a successful 11+ appeal, I thought I'd make you my first port of call!
We're in a situation where our two local grammar schools formed a federation 4 years ago & decided to create a co-ed school on one site. My son was awarded a place at the previously all girls school, along with all the boys that passed their 11+ that year. However, the federation failed & my son's year is the only co-ed year in an otherwise single sex school! What a mess. We were told that he could choose whether to stay at his current school or move to the boy's school. He is now in year 9, very settled & achieving well so we chose to stay put along with approximately 20 other boys. However, this week in our public notices in the local paper there is a notice from the governors to change his school from co-ed to single sex! Where will this leave the boys? Can the governors force us to move to the underachieving boy's school? I was previously told by the governors that they had to honour his place once he had completed a full term in the school, but I'm not sure where this current move leaves us.
Would really appreciate some knowledgeable input please.
Alex

Re: School changing to single gender. . .

Post by Alex »

Hi Jabber,

I am afraid I do not know the answer to your question. I will see if anyone else I know may have any idea, but this is a rather unique situation. I think I would consider writing to the Governors and asking them to clarify the position for the boys already in the (girls') school. You could try the Advisory Centre for Education (ACE) - they have a helpline and even if they do not have the answer to hand they have access to various legal people who may be able to advise; similarly the Childrens Legal Centre.

The joint 6th form in Sleaford broke up last year but the girls from the High School are being allowed to complete their courses at the other two schools - but this only involves one year...
solimum

Re: School changing to single gender. . .

Post by solimum »

I have no knowledge of this situation, but it may be that legally they have to put the official notice in the papers to change the designation of the school to single gender for future admission arrangements but that the current mixed year group will work through as you previously have been told. But obviously this needs checking. I hope it works out well for your son
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now