11+ Tutors in Chelmsford and when should a child start?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Parent_Jeff

11+ Tutors in Chelmsford and when should a child start?

Post by Parent_Jeff »

Hello everyone,

Rather new to this so apologies in advance!

My DD1 is currently in year4, and DD2 in year 3 and we have decided we would like to gently get them into coaching for 11+ entry. We have just brought a plethora of books from Amazon for us to look through, and were wondering:

a) At what age are other starting coaching?
b) At what age should a tutor become in involved?
c) Any tips or hints for beginners?
d) Can anyone recommend tutors in the Chelmsford area?

Thanks

Jeff...
atestingtime

Re: 11+ Tutors in Chelmsford and when should a child start?

Post by atestingtime »

Welcome!

Think you will find lots of info on the Essex pages relevant to your area - and the Maths, English and Verbal journey you are about to begin. No Non Verbal for you - sound of loud cheers from all those 11+ areas where children are muttering and practising matrices, codes etc!

Guess you have already looked here but this is relevant - http://www.csse.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Otherwise just read around the board to pick up tips on improving relevant skills.
moved

Post by moved »

I will move this post to Essex as I think that you will have a better chance of receiving a pm from any members who know of tutors.
moved

Post by moved »

Year 3 - just enjoy reading, puzzles and playing games.
Year 4 - you could start lightly with the Bond books for the correct age in maths and English. Bond VR is quite different from the 11+, but the papers are quite good fun for a bright child.

Most tutors take children from December/January in year 5 and this is plenty of time to prepare a child. Begin gently as the process is long and repetitive. The last thing that you would want is for your children to become bored by the whole process.

The 11+ in Chelmsford is highly competitive so I would have a good backup planned even if your child is very bright. This can take the pressure off in the horrible months between November and March.
2 to go

Post by 2 to go »

My DD is now in year 7 at CCHS and is loving every minute of it. We did some occasional Bond papers at home from about Year 3 onwards. She started with a tutor in Chelmsford after Christmas in Year 5. This was just the right amount of time for her and she worked very hard from January Year 5 until the 11+ . She was at a state primary school which did not cover subjects required for the 11+ so we felt that tutoring was necessary. Our second DD started with the same tutor in Year 4 as she wanted to go with her sister. She is now waiting for her result.
blooming

Post by blooming »

Hello

The best time to start tutoring for your child in year 4 NOW, all the basics will be covered and your building the child up for the intense tutoring from year 5/6. With my first daughter I started really late it was hard and exhausting, with my second daughter I have started her since she was in year 3, I started with bond books aged 5-6,6-7, etc in english, maths and verbal, my daughter has covered a lot she is now in year 4. The earlier the better. A good tutor will tell you what books to get, where to get the practice papers. This 11plus website is pretty good. I hope this useful. :D