St Albans Boys yesterday

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mandelbaum

St Albans Boys yesterday

Post by mandelbaum »

Would anybody know if the timing of the English exam was different to the one specified in the specimen paper? My DS was under the impression he could start on the Creative Writing (section C) and go back to the Comprehension (section B). He was bit thrown when section B got collected after thirty minutes...
new2me

Re: St Albans Boys yesterday

Post by new2me »

Timing appears to be different from the sample tests on their website.

DS says they were told that if they finished comprehension they could start composition, but that the comprehension would be collected after 30 mins. They were told they couldn't start the final section early, but had to wait as it was a timed exercise.
mandelbaum

Post by mandelbaum »

Thank you new2me!
Josa

Post by Josa »

Ds ran out of time on the comprehension, got as far as q8, also couldn't finish the proof reading exercise, he felt the timimg on these exercise was too short and wondered if anyone managed to finish.

Does anyone know when we hear back from St Albans?
new2me

Post by new2me »

They tell us by the end of the week if DS is invited for half day assessment.

DS had to bring his composition to an abrupt conclusion when told to put down his pen, well before he had run out of ideas. He seemed to find the maths more challenging than the English and there was a question worth 5 marks that he couldn't attempt. He was also a bit taken aback at the grilling he got during the interview. I think his interviewer was an avid history buff, and a 'woman', so he wasn't allowed to talk about blood, gore and battles, the bits he likes in history.
mandelbaum

Post by mandelbaum »

As mentioned above ds did not finish the comprehenshion section. He also felt there was not enough time for the proof reading exercise. He did, however, finalise his composition.
He was taken by surprise by the intensity of the interview, too - especially when it came to his choice of schools: which schools did he apply to; why did he not apply to other schools; given an offer of all schools he applied to, which one would he go for?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Gosh, I am amazed by their nerve. We applied for a bunch of girsl and co-ed schools last year and this and NOBODY asked anything like that. I think I would hav told my dd to say "Actually you are very much the backup school" if anyone dared to ask such questions! DG
magic-mum

Post by magic-mum »

Agree that the english papers didn't run to the timings we expected - we thought that the lang, comp and essay would all be collected in after 1hr 20min, allowing you to flex the time - so tight for time on comp - but we knew the last part was timed & speedy. Maths & VR seemed fine. Interview wasn't a grilling - but it was not the group chat he anticipated. Expected to be asked which schools he had applied for and which he preferred - don't see what is wrong with that - I was even asked that question myself in conversation with a teacher at Habs whislt waiting to collect my son after the exam !
Josa

Post by Josa »

Got our letter today, ds called back to participate in lessons and other activities on Wednesday.

Wishing everyone the very best

Josa
regularmum

Post by regularmum »

Hi Josa

We also got our letter from St Albans this morning for a session on Friday. Just wondering how many boys go through to this stage and if we should be slightly hopeful?

We too have tried for Dame Alice and QE - but not holding out much hope for those considering quantity of applicants to places available!

Regularmum
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now