Reading Boys Advice Please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Shack

Reading Boys Advice Please

Post by Shack »

Hi,

My DS is sitting for RBS this November, well that's the plan at the moment unless he decides he doesn't want too nearer the time :(

We prepared my DD 3 years ago for Kendrick with very little in the way of tutoring and mostly DIY, she didn't sit any mocks or other exams before hand and just about managed to get in.

I can't get DS to take anything seriously at the moment and am wondering whether getting him to sit some mocks and or other schools exams before hand would help by giving him an earlier milestone to work towards. He keeps harping on about how far away November is!

If anyone has any views on this I'd love some advice.

Also if RBS Boarders have sat their exam, is there anyone out there willing to share how this years exams went?

Any help and advise would be much appreciated.
stevew61

Re: Reading Boys Advice Please

Post by stevew61 »

Hi,

Boarders have sat not sure if there are any late dates.

Have a look at last years feedback. Reading seem to be setting an-house paper maths and English at KS2 and VR/NVR containing information questions.

The exam seems easier, so maybe the pass mark will rise has been at about 83%?, but you still have to complete all KS2 by November of year six and prepare for VR and NVR. Most boys are reluctant students in my experience. :roll:

I would try the little and often approach. :)
harrow123

Post by harrow123 »

Shack wrote:Hi,

My DS is sitting for RBS this November, well that's the plan at the moment unless he decides he doesn't want too nearer the time :(

We prepared my DD 3 years ago for Kendrick with very little in the way of tutoring and mostly DIY, she didn't sit any mocks or other exams before hand and just about managed to get in.

I can't get DS to take anything seriously at the moment and am wondering whether getting him to sit some mocks and or other schools exams before hand would help by giving him an earlier milestone to work towards. He keeps harping on about how far away November is!

If anyone has any views on this I'd love some advice.

Also if RBS Boarders have sat their exam, is there anyone out there willing to share how this years exams went?

Any help and advise would be much appreciated.
it is obviously better if your ds can sit for mock tests and use other school test's for gaining exposure

late boarders is exam is on jan 21st
Complete Novice

Post by Complete Novice »

Shack I would think about letting your DS sit the Bucks 11+ and the Slough Grammar and/or Consortium tests as a good practice before the real thing. Bucks is about 3 weeks before Reading and Slough Grammar was just the week before this year. My DD did both before Kendrick and although we have yet to see whether she was successful, it was very useful for her and she learned something from each one of them. All those exams are multiple choice and therefore would not be confusing for your DS. I think it is particularly good to have had a trial run at the NVR in timed sections under exam conditions.

Good luck!

CN