Time limit for 11+ exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Khalsa

Time limit for 11+ exam

Post by Khalsa »

Hi all,

My son will be sitting his eleven plus exam after September 2007 (I think its in October 2007).

I have been practicing the various eleven plus papers with him for over one year now. I was told to use NFER NELSON papers as they are closest to the 11+ question for the Trafford area.

The problem that I have is that the Non Verbal Reasoning Papers have 5 sections of 12 questions.

The instructions seem to indicate to me that he should be given 6 minutes for each section, thats 30 seconds a question.

Is that right? Is that what he will get in the real test or is this just for practice?

Ie will he get six minutes a question or will he be given 30 minutes to complete the whole paper as he please?

To me 30 seconds a question seems to little or maybe thats my fault as for over a year I have never timed him.

Very thankful for any replies,

Regards,

K
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

If the format stays the same as last year they actually get less than 30 seconds a question because the Trafford 11+ NVR is four 8 minute sections of 17 questions each. So, whilst the Nelson NFER practice tests aren't exactly the same in terms of number of questions and timing they are very close. To clarify, the test is run in sections with an official start and stop at the end of each section.

If you look at http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11-plus-trafford.php on this website there is a lot of useful information about the exam, including the nugget above.

The timing is very tight. From our experience this year I recommend emphasising over and over again how important it is not to dwell on a question that is not obvious, to mark it and then move on. If you can eliminate 2 out of the 5 answers then do so, so when you come back to the question in any time left at the end of the section you can make a more educated guess.
Manc-south

Trafford 11+

Post by Manc-south »

We are relocating to Manchester ( Whalley Range /Chorlton area) in Jan 2008 and would like to our eldest son to sit the Trafford 11+. He has been doing the the Bond books and I believe he would be able to to do the 11+, however should I now get him a tutor so he gain more experience of the Trafford exam format and timings. Any advise on this and tutor would be most helpful.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now