North London schools

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

North London schools

Post by Guest »

Our daughter will be trying for 11+ entry next year (for 2008). Her primary school (state - very average results at KS2) tells us she is very able and she is now with a tutor who also considers her to be very strong in English and good at Maths, although she is not as confident in this. We're considering schools now and think she will probably try for Highgate, City and Channing (one consortium exam), and possibly Habs. However, she is a bit shaky under test conditions and given the competition for these schools we'd like to have a back-up in case she doesn't manage to get offers. Has anyone got any suggestions? I wondered about Francis Holland. Any other thoughts? (Local comprehensive not really an option :(

Dana

Post by Guest »

I got my dughter to do the grammar exams in october just to help with confidence.

Francis Holland is good choice but it is not really one of the top. I guess it is a good fall back plan.

I know a girl who got in despite not getting offers. Remember it is also in a consortium with other schools.

Post by Guest »

Thanks. Yes, I wondered about doing grammar school exams as they would be good practice, even if I think it unlikely she would get a place. But I wonder if it would actually harm her confidence if she didn't get through the first rounds. This has happened to a couple of people I know where the children were expected by all to get through to the second round but didn't, probably through nerves on the day.

I think Francis Holland is in consortium 1, ie the other one to City/Channing, and we're not interested in South Hampstead so it might be a reasonable alternative as we could genuinely put it first in that group. I wonder if FH is full of more wealthy families though whereas City, Habs, even Highgate have a more diverse group - that's my impression anyway. We're able to afford fees but not without making economies elsewhere and I wouldn't describe us as wealthy (although I appreciate this is all relative!).

Dana

Post by Guest »

Well there's North London Collegiate ( sp) quite tough and oversubscribed. St Martha's ( I think in Highgate and Catholic) and St Margarets in Bushey( day and boarding) not sure where you are based, but I am sure you could do a search via the website. Sorry I can't help any more. Good Luck

Post by Guest »

What is St Margaret's like? Is it easier to get into than North London Collegiate, Habs and HBS?

Post by Guest »

It is easier, yer. There is also St Helen's.
kpjm

11 plus exams forum

Post by kpjm »

We went through this process last year and it was the most stressful time that I have gone through. My first advice would be to listen to your daughters current teacher and head. Looking back on our experience I can now see that what they told us was spot on, so take a lead from what they suggest.
We restricted our daughter to 5 exams thinking she might get stressed only to find out later that she enjoyed taking the exams.
I also agree with you about City being more diverse and my daughters had a wonderful start to year 7 at City.
[/b]

Post by Guest »

We were told by heads that our children would neither get in to HABS or later, Cambridge. Four times they were mistaken.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:What is St Margaret's like? Is it easier to get into than North London Collegiate, Habs and HBS?
Our daughter got a place in HABS and St Margarets, my daughter has changed completely since going to HABs ( we made the wrong choice for our daughter) academically she is fine, but her personality has changed. She is no longer our bright ,bubbly happy child, but withdrawn andstressed. Her best friend went to St Margarets, and academically she is doing well, but her parents and her new friends state that the Pastoral care is excellant. We are trying to see if St Margarets will take your daughter in year 8, despite us rejecting them the first time round.
This is our experience.

I would advise you to look at all the schools, and see what suits your child ,which is what I wish we did.

Post by Guest »

Out of interest, where did your daughter go to junior school? Was it a prep or a state junior?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now