Reading boarding place

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
harrow123

Reading boarding place

Post by harrow123 »

My DS had his last 11+ test today (hopefully) for his life, today he sat at Reading boys for a boarding place.

I never thought of sending him to boarding at 11+ age but I started liking weekly boarding concept so tried today's test.

Good news is that he is happy about test and he is happy to go for boarding also.

Bad news is that I am disappointed with boarding facilities, it did not match to my minimum expectations of living.

The quality of rooms in terms of wall paintings,carpets or the canteen are not great. They are charging around 9k per annum which is equivalent to some private school boarding fee but the facilities are not upto the mark.

In terms of homework/extra activities that they can do during boarding hours is ok but again house master said the activities that they will be participating is only for leisure purpose and not for the purpose of learning/competing or expertising. This also disappointed me.

I see probably it is not value for money, I am talking about only this school as I am not aware of any other boarding state/private schools. Also I have no compulsion to send him to boarding, no family issues or no other reasons. Thought he will be developed as a person at early age but somehow not conviced with this school.

I got opinion that with same money I may better send to private school for a day place, may be more money for some private schools.

Getting MAD

Ideas/comments please
hermanmunster

Re: Reading boarding place

Post by hermanmunster »

harrow123 wrote:
Bad news is that I am disappointed with boarding facilities, it did not match to my minimum expectations of living.

The quality of rooms in terms of wall paintings,carpets or the canteen are not great. They are charging around 9k per annum which is equivalent to some private school boarding fee but the facilities are not upto the mark.
Have you seen any private school boarding houses? they can be a little spartan too.
In terms of homework/extra activities that they can do during boarding hours is ok but again house master said the activities that they will be participating is only for leisure purpose and not for the purpose of learning/competing or expertising. This also disappointed me.
All work and no play makes jack a dull boy,
Getting MAD

Ideas/comments please
Don't get mad it won't help - to be honest you have left this all a bit late - you are looking at schools all over the place, such a strategy requires much forward planning and visits in the previous years. Not sure what you can do at this stage
harrow123

Post by harrow123 »

hermanmunster wrote:
harrow123 wrote:

Have you seen any private school boarding houses? they can be a little spartan too.
All work and no play makes jack a dull boy,
Getting MAD

Ideas/comments please
Don't get mad it won't help - to be honest you have left this all a bit late - you are looking at schools all over the place, such a strategy requires much forward planning and visits in the previous years. Not sure what you can do at this stage

Thanks for giving honest opinion, yes I am late probably

I should create a sticky with Lessons Learnt so that other parents don't do same errors
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Harrow123 - just had a look at a previous post of yours where you listed you CAF, I don't quite understand as you have not put Reading down on the CAF - I would have thought you needed to if you want to get offered a place? Or are the boarding places handled differently?
harrow123

Post by harrow123 »

hermanmunster wrote:Harrow123 - just had a look at a previous post of yours where you listed you CAF, I don't quite understand as you have not put Reading down on the CAF - I would have thought you needed to if you want to get offered a place? Or are the boarding places handled differently?
Thanks, sent you a pm
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Hi H123,

Here is your stated CAF,

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 9&start=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
harrow123 wrote:I have originally put my preferences as

Tiffin
QE boys
Langley Grammar
Herschel Grammar
Burnham grammar
Slough grammar

I have sent letter to council asking to swap first two so they would become as below if they consider my request

QE boys
Tiffin
Langley Grammar
Herschel Grammar
Burnham grammar
Slough grammar
Here are the stated rules for boarding 11+ places at Reading,

http://www.readingschool.reading.sch.uk ... usboarders" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11+ examinations for entry as a Boarder to Reading School in September 2011
( back to top)

For entry in September 2011, a boy's date of birth will fall on or between 1.9.99 and 31.8.00. All applications should be made to Reading School and to the Local Authority for parents who reside in England. For parents who reside outside England, applications should be made to Reading School only. Applications will only be accepted for day or boarding and not for both……………..
Results will be issued by the L.A. on 1st March 2011 to parents who reside in England. Results will be posted by Reading School on 1st Feb 2011 to parents who reside outside England.
So if you have a CAF Reading should be on it?

Here is what happened last year to unfilled boarding places,

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... al#p172359" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RS wrote:Reading Boys

Not sure whether you already know. There are only 6 boarding places being accepted, it means there will be 6 extra places for the day boys.

Good luck to those who are on the waiting list.
Now I am waiting for a result of an application for a day place at Reading, me and a few hundred others. In the worst case I might be on the waiting list hoping for a place, possibly from an unfilled boarding place.

If I thought somebody had had seven bites at the cherry and deprived us of a place then I might be upset. :evil:

So please explain how you have achieved what you claim, seven chances of a place when the rules suggest you should only have six???

Best wishes,

steve
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Harorow123 I hope it works out for you in the end. Its confusing navigating through the system but here is my 2pence.

Right now the ideal thing may just be to wait and see what you are offered on 1 March. If you dont like it there are some indies that may have some places. Of course you wont have much choice but that seem the only option now.

If you didnt like Reading boarding, dont send your son there, much better to send him as a day boy to an indie you like. Good luck.
Impossible is Nothing.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

which of the schools does your son like?
It is he who would have to spend seven years of his life there after all
harrow123

Post by harrow123 »

sherry_d wrote:Harorow123 I hope it works out for you in the end. Its confusing navigating through the system but here is my 2pence.

Right now the ideal thing may just be to wait and see what you are offered on 1 March. If you dont like it there are some indies that may have some places. Of course you wont have much choice but that seem the only option now.

If you didnt like Reading boarding, dont send your son there, much better to send him as a day boy to an indie you like. Good luck.

Excellent idea , i will keep quiet now
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

harrow123
Excellent idea , i will keep quiet now
Sorry harrow123 I think my long post may have confused you!

All the information is in the public domain, so please enlighten us and answer the question.
So if you have a CAF Reading should be on it?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now