Good daily newspapers which cover Education related news

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
harrow123

Good daily newspapers which cover Education related news

Post by harrow123 »

Reading news on Net is the trend generally but sometimes we may miss to read then new news will be replaced by old news, at times we may not check news on net for a week for various reasons.

But reading a daily news paper if delivered to home is more efficient and effective and it touches your heart. I know this is bit outdated habit but I still like it

Coming to the point

I know The Gaudian has separate edition for Education on Tuesday

1) I would like to know what are the other newspapers who publishes special edition for Education and on which days they do ?

I intend to buy newspaper on the days on which they publish Education edition, not all newspapers but I will choose one and buy every week so hopefully I don't miss what is happening . So which newspaper and which day is best to buy everyweek as I intend to do this till my kids start at their UNI

2) Are there any newspapers who publishes speacial edition for kids with some puzzles, kids cross words and kids competitions etc, if there are which day and which newspaper is that ?

Please share
marigold

Re: Good daily newspapers which cover Education related news

Post by marigold »

We get the Guardian delivered everyday, the paperboy makes so much noise at 6.30 we rarely have to set an alarm. If you buy it using pre paid vouchers you save 30% which is quite a substantial amount.

I do not find the education supplement on Tuesdays very interesting, it is geared towards the teaching profession rather than the lay reader, but the Society section on Wednesdays is very good and all my children have used articles from it in various pieces of school work.

My two daughters also fight over the daily G2 section. It has a very wide variety of articles, ( eg fashion, cooking, trend etc) these may not own their own merits be particularly educational but it has certainly got them interested in reading a paper.

I secretly quite like The Times but my husband refuses to allow the Murdoch press in the house. I believe they have a good word puzzle and game section.

PS I also enjoy any links to The Mail on this forum as I could not quite bring myself to look at it otherwise.
emsy

Post by emsy »

There is a weekly newspaper for kids called First News - my 11 year old enjoys it. It covers UK and world news and also has competitions, puzzles, book reviews etc.
harrow123

Post by harrow123 »

emsy wrote:There is a weekly newspaper for kids called First News - my 11 year old enjoys it. It covers UK and world news and also has competitions, puzzles, book reviews etc.
thanks for suggestion, explored it and found where to get and i went to the local stockist. but they are sold and should be back on friday, so will try on friday again

Any more kids magazine suggestions for kids 8-13 years, not with the teenage/adult content yet
Jules7

Post by Jules7 »

We have recently been "persuaded" by eldest DD in Y6 to subscribe to First News - they had a sample copy given to them at school. She needs to read more factual stuff so I said we would consider it if she worked out the most cost effective option for us as price per copy. Duly we have subscribed - you can do it online (cheaper direct debit option) and it gets delivered every Friday. Think it's a good way of getting children to read newspaper style stuff without the frequently "dodgy content" in adult newspapers.

The Times also does a couple of pages for youngsters but Dd prefers her "own" paper!

Edited to say that DD got it from Sainsburys not from school - whoops!
Last edited by Jules7 on Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Regrettably the first change I noticed when DD1 went to high school was a newly found addiction to The Metro. However, amongst the detrious she reads in it does occassionally result in her knowing something of interest to all and has certainly got her into a regular 'new' reading habit! I suspect it makes her feel very grown up as well :D
mad?
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

My DC subscribe to Aquila magazine. It is said to be a magazine to challenge the more able 8-12 yr olds. It has very interesting features, stories and quizzes. I even struggle with the quick quizzes... what is the currency of Kuwait? etc but it gets the DC used to using the internet to research such facts. Each edition focusses on a topic... spiders, The English Civil War, survival, weather systems etc. Give the website a google.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Jules7 wrote:We have recently been "persuaded" by eldest DD in Y6 to subscribe to First News - they had a sample copy given to them at school. She needs to read more factual stuff so I said we would consider it if she worked out the most cost effective option for us as price per copy. Duly we have subscribed - you can do it online (cheaper direct debit option) and it gets delivered every Friday. Think it's a good way of getting children to read newspaper style stuff without the frequently "dodgy content" in adult newspapers.
When DS was in year 4, he was told about 'First news'. I tried one, loved it but had difficulties to find it near home each week. So I did a subscription for 6 months... After a while, I did find a store locally which was stocking it properly...
It turned out that DS had rarely the time to read regularly this news paper each week, besides his English novels and also some reading in French... So at the end, I regretted the subscription. I think that a newspaper bought now and then would have worked better for us ( I am the kind of mum who wants him to read each article! :roll: ). However, I repeat: we really like 'First news' which is 'children friendly' (difficult words are explained)

This year, with the 11+ approaching, I decided not to do any subcription to a French mensuel magazine as usual but to an English one instead. We found 'DiscoveryBox'. Here is the link:
http://www.bayard-magazines.co.uk/gamme ... erybox.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DS does enjoy it... and find the time to read it from cover to cover so I am happy :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now