Chelmsford to Southend High School for Girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Pringle

Chelmsford to Southend High School for Girls

Post by Pringle »

Hi, I am new to this forum. My DD took the 11+ in November and one of her choices was SHSG. I have no idea if she will pass , I am just trying to plan ahead. I am aware that a school bus does run from Chelmsford to SHSG (the 503 runs fom the Market in the town centre). The bus takes 1 hour 35 mins. The drive direct by car takes around 45 mins depending on traffic.

I am also aware of the train route via Shenfield.

I would be grateful for the advice and thoughts of anyone who has travelled to the school from the Chelmsford area and how they managed it. I know similar questions have been asked many times before....but on balance was the journey too far?

Thanks in hope.

Pringle
moved

Re: Chelmsford to Southend High School for Girls

Post by moved »

The method of transport that most girls use is the 513 CSSE bus. The girls I know who take the bus develop their own social life on the bus with the others who travel. This link will take you to the CSSE bus timetable.
http://www.csse.org.uk/transport.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The train is not really viable as the it goes to Southend Victoria and then a bus is required from the train station to SHSG or a walk and then a third train. I drive this journey to work every day and 45 minutes is a good run from central Chelmsford.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Hi Pringle I know quite a few girls who go to SHSG from Billericay - they all get the train to Southend Victoria and then get a bus. They tend to meet up and travel together and all seem very happy with the journey.
Rinette

Post by Rinette »

Hi, yes, I will have to do the school choices next year and I am in the same situation. Based at Chelmsford, and with the same big question marks...
I cannot get my head round 1h35 of bus transport :( , and that is without the time to reach the bus stop.
Honestly, I think it is horrendous.
I understand that kids may be (seem to be ?) quite happy and cope with the journey by making it a social time but still...
I really do not know what we will do with my son. I already have the feeling that putting him through the 11+, the preparation, the homework, the stress, is very harsh. And then, possibly, as a result, years to follow with more than 3h/day of bus journey :? .
I know it is the way it works and quite a lot a families seems to get on with it but there is something in it which, for me, sounds really wrong.
Pringle

Post by Pringle »

Thanks for the replies. Oops, it was the 513 and not the 503 I meant. I guess what I was hoping to hear was that there was a more direct bus.... perhaps organised by parents or that someone was already getting the train etc. We would be right at the end of the line for the bus and 1 hour 35mins each way is a long time to be travelling.

Fran17 do you happen to know the number of the bus from Southend Victoria to the school or is it a school bus? Moved, do any of the girls you know travel from Chelmsford itself or do they catch further down the route? I would be happier if I knew she wasn't the only one. Moved, am I right that the roadworks on the A127 in Southend are nearly complete and that now they cause most of the delays on the route?

I know I may be jumping the gun before the results are out but if she does get offered Southend it would be great to know what we are dealing with.

Thanks again.

P.S. Rinette. Just seen your message. If you have a son and are thinking of Southend, the boys school is not as far and there are other buses. SHSG is right in the middle of Southend. SHSB is closer to Westcliffe. Good luck!
moved

Post by moved »

Hi the roadworks will be finished in March, they have made the girls' lives rather difficult. I felt sorry for this year's yr 7 as their first experience was being late for school daily. SHSG is not in the middle of Southend but on the far Thorpe Bay side.

DS took the train home from KEGS to Thorpe Bay for 15 months and didn't mind it too much, but he didn't like having to add the bus onto the journey. There is a bus stop outside Victoria Station, also being redeveloped as the moment, that stops over the road from SHSG but that still involves two trains and a then a bus. I don't know of any children that take the train from Chelmsford to SHSG, but there are several that take the bus.

Both of my DC travelled for some time and both enjoyed the camaraderie on the train. The bus would have been easier but there isn't a route in the opposite direction.
Pringle

Post by Pringle »

Hi moved, thanks for the extra information and for your previous posts on the subject of marks required in previous years. They helped us judge which schools may be attainable for our DD.

Good luck everyone.......In our case I think we are going to need it!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now