Why do you not get results before the completion of CPF ?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tweetie pie

Why do you not get results before the completion of CPF ?

Post by tweetie pie »

We live on the border of two counties , and so far I have discovered 2 fundamental differences between the GS my DD may be able to attend(they are in different counties/LEA) I was just wondering why one of them holds the exam in September and gives the results of the 11 plus before you fill out the common preference form, and the other does not even hold their exam until December (the CPF are submitted at the end of October) I have been told that the system changed some years ago, its puzzling , why on earth would they bring in a system where it makes it harder for you to make a selection... ?Why not allow you the advantage of knowing the outcome of the 11 plus ? However maybe that system is more in line with the majority.......? At one school they only allow 25% of places to be allocated out of the area-the calculation for distance from the GS being made to the PS attended,rather than the home address. The other GS(which is also the one who holds the exam later ) will accept applications from anywhere, they simply want the pick of the crop. Only feel like yesterday that we had to pick a PS, this has all come round very quickly !!
doodles

Re: Why do you not get results before the completion of CPF

Post by doodles »

Here in Kent we now know the results of the 11+ before the CAF needs to be submitted. This is relatively recent change to the system and for my mind a good one. At least you can now apply to the schools that you, hopefully, have a realistic chance of being in the running for.
Alex

Post by Alex »

There are a lot of inconsistencies between Local Authorities. Unless something is actually legislated for ( like the closing date for applications under the co-ordinated scheme now is) it tends to vary. At one time the School Admissions Code said that results could not be known before applications were submitted, then a few years ago there was a volte face and it now says that results should be known - but should is not binding. Some authorities brought their tests forward so that results could be made available before applications were submitted; others have not managed this.

As for admissions policies, they are very many and varied! Where I am in Lincolnshire a year or two ago there were over 90 different admissions policies in operation for the schools (that is all sorts of schools across the whole age range).
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Here in Bucks the forms used to be completed after the results were known so that you weren't applying for ones you weren't qualified for. Now the tests ate end of September/beginning of October, with the results out at the end of November after the forms have to be in. Progress eh? Can't beat it :lol:
scary mum