Cross sibling rule Watford Grammars 2012

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Hera

Cross sibling rule Watford Grammars 2012

Post by Hera »

Is there any suggestion that the cross sibling rule for the watford Grammar Schools will be reinstated in 2012. When it was originally struck off by the adjudicator in September 2008 it was done for 3 years only. Then the rules changed in 2009, but the school said that they did not believe that this took presedence over the adjudicators original descision. I can find no further mention of it after that. Has anyone heard any rumours, suggestions or anything more concrete that it may be reinstated?
WP

Re: Cross sibling rule Watford Grammars 2012

Post by WP »

The position doesn't automatically revert after 3 years; rather the adjudicator prevented the schools from changing it for 3 years. They could try to change it back now, but now that they're academies any changes need the approval of the Secretary of State. They would also need to consult on the proposed change for a period of 8 weeks before 1st March. There's no trace of such a consultation on their websites, so I'd guess they're keeping the same arrangements as last year.
decaff

Post by decaff »

One would assume that now they are 2 separate academies/schools they could not claim as they did in the past that they are one school and able to have joint admission rules. I therefore agree I feel this rule is unlikely to return. However I gather the head at last years open morning did tell parents that he expected the admission rules to change for year 7 entry in 2012. I have to confess I was not present myself so can not confirm this
WP

Post by WP »

They claimed that they were closely connected schools, rather than that they were one school. The new setup has interlocking boards of trustees between the two schools. Giving preference to siblings of children at a closely linked school is explicitly allowed by the latest (Feb 2010) version of the Admissions Code, which does indeed remove the basis of the adjudicator's decision. If the schools wanted to change it back, they'd make the same argument as before.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now