Refunds - what are my rights?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Waiting_For_Godot

Refunds - what are my rights?

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

We bought my mother a 3 piece suite as a gift two hours ago from SCS and when we told her she says she doesn't want it and won't even look at it so it's not because it isn't nice. The contract says that there is no refund and we can only amend our order within seven days. I'm not sure what amend means and I am dearly hoping it means that we can buy something else rather than just change the colour etc.

I thought everyone had X amount of days to return an item and as this hasn't even been made yet. :? Is there anything we can do? I feel sick at the thought of losing so much money and pretty annoyed at my mother and her sofa that is thread bare and falling apart. :cry: And no, we cannot have, want or store the suite.
yoyo123

Re: Refunds - what are my rights?

Post by yoyo123 »

might be worth googling consumer rights, but unless the goods are faulty I am fairly sure that you are not entitled to a refund just an exchange
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Can't you call them up and see what can be done? If you only ordered it two hours ago, you may be able to cancel the order
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

If it was online,

If you sell goods or services to consumers by:

the internet
digital television
mail order, including catalogue shopping
phone
fax

http://www.oft.gov.uk/about-the-oft/leg ... gulations/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the consumer has a cooling-off period of seven working days
Waiting_For_Godot

I can't get through to them and having googled online there seems to be forums dedicated to this very topic so it looks like we're stuffed! :cry: It was bought in store.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Can I just ask what made you do this without running it past your mother first ?
nigs

Post by nigs »

If you bought the suite on credit card, you might be able to get the transaction rescinded by phoning up the credit card company and explaining the situation to them, telling them you want to nullify the transaction.

If you paid by your bank debit card, could you phone your bank to recall payment.

Not sure if any of these will help but worth a try.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Looking for help wrote:Can I just ask what made you do this without running it past your mother first ?
She's just a spontaneous kind of a girl :wink:
Waiting_For_Godot

LFH, my mother is a nightmare and doesn't look after herself. She was still hand washing until I was 16 and I saved up to buy her a washing machine. I swear she should have been a nun! :roll: If I take her to a restaurant she will pick the cheapest thing on the menu even if she is allergic/dislikes it :shock: and will not have anything to drink if she is not paying. So when she needs something, I buy it and she usually accepts it. Believe me, she needs a new suite and I am more miffed that she wouldn't even look at it online/think about it before saying no as it was very nice. On an up note I can now refuse the tat she send me on a frequent basis without feeling guilty! :shock: :?
marigold

Post by marigold »

I think it is something to do with their generation, being bought up during the war, all that make do and mend.
My parents are very comfortable but their fridge is full of scoops of mashed potato, curled ham and cheese with a sell by date of May 2009 because it is a mortal sin to throw anything away. My mother wears a thermal vest I cast off when my eldest was born in 1993 and a coat she bought before I left home.

I like to think all the money they are saving will bulk out my inheritance but have a feeling it will all be going to Oxfam.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now