Reallocation Day

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Out-of-area

Reallocation Day

Post by Out-of-area »

I understand that in West Kent reallocation day is Tuesday 27 March and presume letters are sent on that day and received the day after (assuming decent postal service!). Are many people awaiting reallocation day with some trepidation - as I am? There doesn't seem to have been much chat about waiting lists and the chances of moving up them - unless I have missed these threads. Good luck to everyone hoping to get a place via reallocation.
guest3

Post by guest3 »

A friend told me today that no-one from Sevenoaks got into TWBG this year (so far). I wonder if the change of preference system has affected this as one no longer has to put church schools as first choice. Does this mean that more local children took a chance with the 11+ and passed. In the past, you had to decide between church vs grammar, as if you failed the 11+, then you also lost your chance of a church school.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Because people can apply to fresh schools in Kent from today, in some cases where they live closer (or have higher scores in West Kent) they will go ahead of others who have been patiently sitting on waiting lists.

Although this new system has faults, it will work best in East Kent where a few grammar schools are full (Simon Langton, Dover Girls, Manwoods) and others have spaces, enabling children to gain places in schools with vacancies. If your child hasn't passed you can also apply for a fresh grammar school. They will be turned down and you can then appeal! Not recommended unless scores are reasonably close!
Tired Mum

Post by Tired Mum »

Peter wrote:Because people can apply to fresh schools in Kent from today, in some cases where they live closer (or have higher scores in West Kent) they will go ahead of others who have been patiently sitting on waiting lists.

Although this new system has faults, it will work best in East Kent where a few grammar schools are full (Simon Langton, Dover Girls, Manwoods) and others have spaces, enabling children to gain places in schools with vacancies. If your child hasn't passed you can also apply for a fresh grammar school. They will be turned down and you can then appeal! Not recommended unless scores are reasonably close!
Good Morning Peter,

Now I'm confused :? What is this about reallocation day? I thought that if you wanted to apply to a school you did not put on your CAF you could do so after 23rd March; however if places are being reallocated on 27th March what chance do you have? I'm after a place at Wilmington Girls.
Donald Rumsfeld

Post by Donald Rumsfeld »

I don't think there is such a thing as "reallocation day". As Peter says, from 23 March anyone can apply to a fresh school. If the school has vacancies (and/or subsequently as and when any come up) then those places will be offered to people on their waiting list according to their oversubscription criteria. The people on that waiting list can include those who originally put the school on their CAF, AND those who applied fresh after 23 March. Therefore I dont see there being a particular "day" - places could continue to be offered as and when they come up, potentially until the end of August.
Peter

Post by Peter »

There is no such thing as reallocation day (this was last year's term!).

The coordinated admissions scheme in Kent ended on 23rd March, by which time all offers of places had to be accepted. Some of these offers will not have been accepted, so on March 27th, where schools were initially oversubscribed, they will go to their waiting lists and offer these places strictly according to the oversubscription rules up to the published Planned Admission Number (but not beyond it). From now on, until September, as soon as a vacancy occurs the place will be offered to the highest person on the waiting list.

The appeal process is completely independent of this, except that if appeals take the number of pupils above the planned admission limit, no more should be admitted from the waiting list until and unless the number falls back again to the PAN.

You may not go on the waiting lists for a grammar school if you have not passed the Kent test, but you can apply to a fresh school, be turned down and then appeal.

If you are eligible you may apply to go on the waiting list for any Kent school.
Out-of-area

Reallocation Day

Post by Out-of-area »

Peter,

I note you mentioned that anyone can apply to go on a school's waiting list from 23 March, in some cases going ahead of others who have been patiently sitting on waiting lists. If that is the case I am wondering why any pupil that wishes to can't apply to go on a school waiting list as soon as places are allocated. It seems to me that those who went on the waiting list prior to 22 March (because they named that school on their CAF) are in no better a position than those that joined the waiting list from 23 March. Or am I missing something??
Peter

Post by Peter »

Out of Area Mum,

No you are not missing anything. You are correct. I have tried to make this public before, and gone banging on about it, but its not been picked up. Next year if there is no change to the system, informed parents will play "the game" differently to their children's advantage. As always, those less well informed may lose out.
Tired Mum

Post by Tired Mum »

Tired Mum wrote:
Peter wrote:Because people can apply to fresh schools in Kent from today, in some cases where they live closer (or have higher scores in West Kent) they will go ahead of others who have been patiently sitting on waiting lists.

Good Morning Peter,

Now I'm confused :? What is this about reallocation day? I thought that if you wanted to apply to a school you did not put on your CAF you could do so after 23rd March; however if places are being reallocated on 27th March what chance do you have? I'm after a place at Wilmington Girls.
Well I'm still not sure about this reallocation lark! I got a massive surprise yesterday when I got home: I have been offered a place at my No2 choice school (If you have read any of my previous posts you will know I got choice number 6 on 2nd March - not a happy bunny) letter dated 26th March and offer is from a Bexley School.

What's going on? OK so it is a happy result for me and mine but what does this mean for everyone else. I was Out of Area - by a VERY long way and had originally hoped my No1 daughter would get one of the 180 places (deluded :( as it turned out she missed by 3 marks).

If you know what they are doing Peter can you tell us?
Peter

Post by Peter »

Yes, I could venture an explanation, but you have a lot of information missing from your case!

I suspect you have been offered a place at a Bexley Grammar School, who after 23rd March have spaces at their schools and (I think - although I don't claim to be an expert in Bexley) simply reallocate by lowering their pass mark apparently by at least three marks). This is one reason why almost no appeals in Bexley are successful, as the schools are always full!