Withdrawal of Free Travel to school proposed.....

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
T12ACY

Withdrawal of Free Travel to school proposed.....

Post by T12ACY »

..... just saw this on BBC news for our area. KCC are putting a consultation together for the removal of free travel to school which would affect GS and Faith School preferences if these are not the nearest school. Trouble is I can't find any other reference to it!!!!! Isn't this potentially removing the 'choice' for families who wouldn't be able to afford the travel, like many of us???

If the plan goes ahead it would be for the academic year (proposed anyway) 2012/13. Can anyone find any information or is it just that I had a nightmare about this?????
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
T12ACY

Re: Withdrawal of Free Travel to school proposed.....

Post by T12ACY »

Actually should just say that I looked at the '*****' and am not surprised that this is clearly reported on that site. As ever a good source of information, so thank you :)
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

It was mentioned in the Kent Messenger.

Also, the Kent Freedom price is increasing to £100.
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

That explains it, I don't buy it but perhaps really need to start!!!!
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

I'm afraid this is happening in Warwickshire. We've always had to pay if we choose a grammar that's further away than the local comprehensive, but the 6th form travel scheme stopped last year and they are threatening to withdraw the faith schools scheme imminently.
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kentonline/ ... apped.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

for those who hadn't already seen this reported 'officially'.

I wonder how many parents will be questioning their 'choice' when this gets imposed on students already settled in to a school where travel costs are a factor if the LA opt to introduce a charge.

From our perspective if my DS had not had to get in to GS by the appeal route he would, without doubt, have been allocated the nearest GS and not one which has meant bus and train journeys each day because our nearest was full. Should we have given up because of cost even though we believed GS education was better for him than the local school where the Ofsted report highlights failing with their potential higher achievers? There was no choice and we will cut back on other things if necessary but am not impressed, yet again, that those on 'middle' incomes are going to be whacked with further difficulties....... :twisted:
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

But its going to cost £100 annually using the freedom travel, thats about £8 a month and I cant see how that would put off anyone applying for a grammar. The only quibble I have about the scheme is that it doesnt cover rail travel which can add into hundreds per year but I am yet to hear of anyone put off applying for a grammar because of the rail fare.

I think its a resonable amount to pay for one's child to get a decent education otherwise the local comp is always there :lol:.
Impossible is Nothing.
ausvic

Post by ausvic »

[quote="sherry_d"]I think its a resonable amount to pay for one's child to get a decent education otherwise the local comp is always there .quote]

Well said.

It does say in KM article that people on low income/benefits would not have to pay. I don't see why some wealthier people (and I know a few) get free school bus when they are able to pay for it. I have to pay for the petrol to take my kids to school so why not other people pay for the bus? In Medway it is not free.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

quite a few areas have had to pay for GS if not the local school, argument of LEA was that there was always another suitable local school - think Lancaster GS was like this.
SSM

Post by SSM »

I have to pay for DS2's train fare to our first choice GS. It actually costs about £110 every six week.

If an LEA has a comprehensive educational scheme then I think it's right that travel to a GS should not be paid. However Kent has a selective educational system.

I'm sure a lot of people will be put off paying nearly £700 a year for travel to a GS.

In fact it will probably be the very people that GSs were put in place for. I think it will just make the GSs more full of people that afford to send their kids there.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now