no interviews - Help!!!!

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
indiko

no interviews - Help!!!!

Post by indiko »

I am desperately trying to hold back the tears. Just called our last indi as we have not recieved a letter inviting us back for an interview. Was told all the interview letters have now been sent out.......... and I will have to wait until the 17th Feb to find out. In a nut shell ' your ds has been unsuccessful'. How do I break this news to him. I put a positive spin on a previous rejection.

Somebody out there please help.
Ed's mum

Re: no interviews - Help!!!!

Post by Ed's mum »

I think my advice would be to not give up.just yet. I am so sorry to hear your news. It might be that places become available over the next few weeks, especially after national allocations day as most people apply to more than one school and some may be in the fortunate position of having more than one offer.
Try to keep strong, you must be feeling distraught.
Keep in touch with the schools. Ask about a waiting list. Are there any other schools that you could contact?
indiko

Post by indiko »

I asked if my ds can go on a waiting list and the lady said they do not have one. I guess they offer more than the available places...........
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Is that the same with each if the schools?
Which area of the country do you live in?
indiko

Post by indiko »

South London.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Thanks for the additional information indiko; it might help others who are more knowledgeable about schooling in South London to make some suggestions.
Paddy

Post by Paddy »

Sorry to hear that but I am sure that it will work out in the end. Two questions:

1. Which schools have you applied to; and,
2. Where in south London are you (its a big place)?

Couple of options you could consider:

1. Look at other schools that may have available places (St Dunstans, maybe?); or,
1. Look at schools further afield (Kent, Surrey, etc) but reachable; or,
2. Go for a prep school and try again in two years.

Whatever you do give yourself a day or two to recover so that you can put a positive face on it when you do break the news to him.

Good luck.
dearcoty

Post by dearcoty »

So sorry to hear your news: I really feel for you as am also facing the same thing (for the second time unfortunately). Everyone always says to me that it will all work out and the right school will come along - which does seem to happen (eventually) but that doesn't help the immediate feeling of despair and stress.

After the initial chat when we were all upset, I found that my dd was actually more philosophical about it than me and I am trying now not to talk about it too much with her whilst, in the background, am trying to gather as much information as possible. You might find that your ds recovers more quickly than you expect. Try to stay positive, although I know this is hard.

Do you have a sympathetic head teacher who might be able to give advice - and be prepared to get on the phone and negotiate with any schools? I know several parents who have found interviews popping up through this process.

I also agree with Ed's mum about keeping in touch with schools - there will be so much movement in the next few months and well in to the summer term. Ultimately, schools do want to fill all their places and however many offers they make now might still leave them with places.

Do you have a state back-up or are there other schools perhaps a little farther away that you initially ruled out? Are there any schools which have not sat exams yet eg new schools? Places do crop up for Y8 and beyond, so starting at another school does not mean you can't successfully switch quite soon. My ds went to a prep at Y7 and then moved for Y9 to a senior school although did have to do the CE, but not all schools require this for entry.

Good luck
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Very sound advice from Paddy, if all else fails then a prep now and try again in 2 years.

I am sorry but its really not the end of the world honestly. One door shuts another door opens. You have to be strong for you DS, I didnt even give mine some of the results. She didnt bother asking if they had come so I just left it like that. You need to break your news to him when you are particularly strong yourself and just let me him know it was just another damn exam and its their loss. Why not wait until you get the letter on the 15th to break it to him and in the meantime start preparing him that even if it isnt good news thats not everything. You could use the next 2 weeks to investigate other options.

There are a few indies round here where I am that will still be taking kids after national allocations on 1 March and I am sure its the same in most areas. If you dont really like these then there are some good prep schools that could take him and you'll have a good idea of the right school for him at 13+. Is your son in a state school or prep school at the moment?

Good luck Indiko, I have had my own share of tears too from these rejections so I know how it feels but hang in there...
Impossible is Nothing.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Prep school for Yrs 7 and 8 is a good option so do look at it carefully. At DS's school it is not unusual for boys to join in Yr 7 so don't think he would be the only new boy and most of the schools are geared to taking new boys in Yr7 (but it might be worth asking this specific question). Boys change considerably during those two years so your options open up all over again. It really is worth thinking about.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now