ICT at GCSE

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
muffinmonster

ICT at GCSE

Post by muffinmonster »

I've read on other threads on this forum that ICT at GCSE is a waste of time. Why is this?

Don't hold back! :lol:
magwich2

Re: ICT at GCSE

Post by magwich2 »

'cos 7 year olds manage to get A*s in it on a regular basis!
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

magwich2 wrote:'cos 7 year olds manage to get A*s in it on a regular basis!
Do you have a link to anything that substantiates this?
No, thought not.
muffinmonster wrote:I've read on other threads on this forum that ICT at GCSE is a waste of time. Why is this?

Don't hold back! :lol:
I think it has become a filler subject, DS1 was offered ICT as an additional subject at GCSE, self study towards, something like the European Computer Driving......, we decided that on top of eleven academic GCSEs it was a step too far.

ICT is a newish and fast changing subject, some of the basics are good, use a spelling and grammer :evil: checker! :lol:
guest43

Post by guest43 »

It is on the Cambridge University "blacklist" for A LEVELS-see below

LIST C
A-levels Suitable Only As Fourth Subjects

Accounting
Applied Science
Citizenship
Communication Studies
Computing
Critical Thinking
Dance
Environmental Science
General Studies
Health & Social Care
Home Economics
ICT
Leisure Studies
Music Technology
Performance Studies
Performing Arts
Perspectives on Science
Photography
Physical Education
Science
Science for Public Understanding
Sports Studies
Travel & Tourism
World Development
marigold

Post by marigold »

My daughter in year 9 is currently doing the course work for her IT GCSE. Whist I would agree it is not perhaps as challenging as some other subjects there is a considerable amount to do and I think suggesting that a seven year old would easily get an A* is more than a little insulting. It may be possible, but only if the parent does all the course work and then sits next to them during the exam to make sure they can sit still and not chat for long enough to complete the paper.

It may not be of any use in respect of her Oxbridge entrance but having a GCSE ( hopefully with a good grade ) under her belt two years early will do a lot for her confidence.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I do think in this day and age where it is absolutely necessary to be able to use computers, a qualification, in ICT is essential.
muffinmonster

Post by muffinmonster »

I agree that everyone has to use computers now, but I'm not convinced that you need to do a GCSE to do so. Most people my age have just had to learn as they go along (and we didn't have the advantage of Windows or Mac OS - just MS-DOS, which seemed designed to make you feel stupid!). Our children have been accustomed to computers all their lives, and seem to pick up the necessary skills very quickly.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

ICT GCSE is surely even more of an irrelevance to the current generation, who are as likely to use a phone or an iPod or a games console for a large part of their ICT needs, as it was for those of us who've picked it up as we went along (some of us started with punched tape :shock: - but I just missed punched cards).

Mike
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I'm sure I'm not advocating a GCSE in place of maths for example, I just think that none of us really know how much a computer can do for us.....yes we can all load up social networking sites, and perhaps an excel spreadsheet, but how many of us without lots of hair tearing can run complicated queries in databases or write macros in visual basic? It's easy to say well an A Level in ICT won't get us into Cambridge, and that may well be true...but with most A Level students not going to Cambridge, I wouldn't worry if it's an extra at GCSE.... I am looking forward to someone teaching me visual basic so I can write my own macros...haven't a clue what the manual is talking about :roll:

Mike...I did the punched tape...great idea...write a programme one week...get the results back next week, 20 tonnes of computer paper later, oops it didn't work :oops:
The beauty nowadays is that its all there for us on a plate, but loads of people are absolutely unaware of what we can use it for to help us

I am editing to add, I have no idea what's involved in GCSE ICT....I just know what I'd like to be in it :D
SSM

Post by SSM »

LFH, I think ICT GCSE does vary, depending on what modules the school choose.

My DS has always been into computers but was originally put off ICT as an option by an older boy at his GS who said that it was boring and nothing to do with computing but with Information Communication.

I queried this with the head of IT and was told that the modules my son would doing would be New technology. He hasn't complained so far that it's boring.