I may be being stupid, but......

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
flicka

I may be being stupid, but......

Post by flicka »

Hi,
you work hard with your child, you download old exam papers, you buy books with papers in them etc.
Your child works hard too.
But, my question is this - what sort of percentage should your child be getting in order to be relatively sure they are doing well enough to be considered for grammar or independent school?
Does the school expect them to be getting over 90%, or only over 60 or 70?
What is actually a "good" score for your child?
AT what level should you worry you have not covered it all, or your child has forgotten it, or you haven't done enough preparation?
I hear of kids that do NO preparation, just do the exam and sail through.
It must be possible I suppose.
Do they have to be geniuses to do that?
Are the kids that get to grammar school nowadays brighter than when we all went? Is there more competition?
Sorry, I know, lots of questions but I just don't know the answers and am hoping some of you do.
Flicka
pheasantchick

Re: I may be being stupid, but......

Post by pheasantchick »

You are not stupid but a normal parent entering the confusing world of 11+!

Different areas have different 11+ requiring different scores, so it would help if we know which area you are from.

I think there is more competition, as more parents are turning towards the grammar system, rather than the expense of independents. Also, there is alot more tutoring going on, whether diy or external tutors.

Some kids do pass without apparent preparation. However, somethimes this means that they haven't had a paid tutor, but often have been tutored by their parents. I think it would take a genius to pass an NVR or VR without some preparation as if you have never seen a question before, it can be daunting.

Don't worry about all your questions. We've all had them, and thats what this forum is all about. You have definantly come to the right place. Welcome!
flicka

Re: I may be being stupid, but......

Post by flicka »

Hi, we are going for independent, with a bursary, we hope, or a Scholarship too.
I know that when I took the 11+ aeons ago, we did no prepartion and indeed, didn't even know we were doing it until after. At least, I didn't know that was what we'd done! We did it in the hall at our primary school.
My mum was a teacher at the school, and the head told her I had got the top score for Hampshire. Not sure any other parents knew what their children got.
I seem to remember it (vaguely) as ONLY being NVR and VR, sort of intelligence test questions which NONE of us had ever seen before.
I remember enjoying it.
Not sure kids nowadays enjoy it though!
Too much pressure and stress, which, when you think about it, might have been why I did so well - no pressure and no stress!
Flicka