lucy

bournemouth boys school appeals

Post by lucy »

: anybody know anything about appeals for bournemouth school for boys
seems very scary
dissapointed mum

Post by dissapointed mum »

Hi Lucy
Im not sure how the appeal procedure works , but if you try put this posting on the appeals page you may get an answer from Etienne or Somebody, as not many people seem to read the Dorset pages.
Best of luck"!
Ps what scores did your son get?
DM
lucy

Post by lucy »

dear dm
thanks for reply my son was 1 point off english 3 points off vr and 6 points off maths all tests taken on one day i think thats wayout not sure .school did appeal but no luck. has always had good results at school ect some extenuating circumstances brother and two sisters went to grammer wish more people from dorset would reply with any information.
lucy
dissapointed mum

Hi Lucy,
After recieving my sons results today, I phoned and spoke to the admissions lady in BSB and was told that although my son passed on the 3% margin, he cant be offered a place,There are already 22 on a waiting list who gained higher marks than he did.Those kids are the ones who passed 2 out of th 3 papers, then come the 3% margin kids, of which my son was the highest. ( he got over the 3% mark so she said) He got 115 for VR, 97 for English and 105 for Maths. She said to me I can appealfor a place if I want to as I have a right to do so, buut she said the chances of getting through the appeal are very slim, as there just isnt any space, and she said we cant sit them on each others laps!!!She said only 1 child got through on appeal last year. So I dont know Lucy, I hope I havent put the dampers on you, I just thought Id let you know what she said to me and maybe you can try build up a really strong case and go for it! What other schools did you put down for?
Best wishes
DM
usa

Post by usa »

DM
Well done to your son - on his score! Disappointing about the place situation, but......good score and good on you both! Hope all goes well with the move and other school you have chosen
USA
lucy

Post by lucy »

hi dm
many thanks for your information i knew it would be difficult but did not realise so many on waiting list will still go for it nothing to lose except sleep. my next choice was winton boys which has improved since the last time i visited eight years ago but''' all my other children much older we have got place there but no sixth form at present this is all a bit of a nightmare. have you just moved here? are you hoping for st peters? i think that is going to be difficult too we may move now possibly poole area he could take that test later this year dont really know what to do for the best
lucy
paula

Post by paula »

Lucy re your idea of moving to Poole area. I am a native of Poole and was there until 3 years ago. Your right about Poole being a 12+ area. You could also consider the Broadstone area of Poole with its very good comp Corfe Hills. Wishing your son well wherever he goes.
dissapointed mum

Hi Lucy,
Yep the admissions lady suggested to me about sitting the 12 plus in poole. Do you have to be resident in pool then to do that, or do they have any boundries you can live up to just out side of poole?
We havent made the move into Bournemouth yet, we have put an offer in on a place, and are still waiting to sell ours. We will probably rent a place if need be to get into a school cos at present we have been turned down for Kings as we dont have a Bournemouth address. Do you know whether they do 12 plus at Bournemouth Boys for year 8 entry? as that may be an idea too. They do that in Bucks.
Go for it with the appeal, as you say you have nothing to lose. With the appeal, do you have to submit loads of info etc, or just do that at the actual appeal?Just asking, but you mentioned in your last post that you went to appeal with heads support, does that mean there are two appeal process???
Best of luck with it all
DM
lucy

Post by lucy »

Hello dm
you also seem to have a lot going on moving and trying to sort out schools
ect .our house up for sale again as sale fell through last year . you do have to send lots of documents before the actual appeal academic achievements reports letters from school, work ,extenuating reasons and why your child needs that school plus in first instance reasons why you think school can take more pupils thats the first hurdle. appeals are going to be heard in june not quite sure time scale for sending in all the paper work i think the parents have a bit of leeway with that but you do have to send formal appeal letter in by 20th of april it is a very stressfull time trying to keep it very low key for my son not telling him im going to appeal as it does not affect them very much at this stage good luck to you keep in touch
lucy
Bournemouth

Post by Bournemouth »

DM,

I don't think you can take a 12+ at BS if you already did the 11+.
Also, I believe Poole has a catchment, unlike Bournemouth. Sounds like a good idea to rent in Poole and go for the 12+. Give you time to look around the area and decide where you want to be.