11+ preparation - Am I too late?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ashwini24

11+ preparation - Am I too late?

Post by ashwini24 »

We have recently moved to catchment area of AGGS, my daughter is in year 5 & will be appearing for AGGS entrance.
I have just started teaching my daughter myself. Am I too late? She is a bright girl, but needs that little push.

Please provide me details of 11+ preparations as I'm new to the forum.
I’ll appreciate any information in all the subjects, books, websites. Also need information on MOCK tests for my reference for when she is ready.

Thanking in advance

Ash
yoyo123

Re: 11+ preparation - Am I too late?

Post by yoyo123 »

welcome to the forum ashwini

this thread
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 34&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

might answer some of your questions. I am based in Kent so don;t know the area, but Trafford Mum may be able to tell you more. I don;t think you have left it too late, there is a lot of information on the site to help you to prepare her. Just ask!
ashwini24

Post by ashwini24 »

Thanks yoyo123 for your quick & quite assuring response.

I started to have a feeling that I left it too late, as seen posts by parents in the forum who started the prep from the start of Year 4.

But your response makes me feel a bit better.

Thanks

Ash
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

No you haven't left it too late. Bit like teaching them to swim .... you can take them every week for years from the age of 2 and then they swim a length at 6, or you take them every day for a week at the age of 6 ... and they swim a length.

What I am saying is that starting it in year 4 can be just far more than is needed for most kids. if they are going to do OK at GS then they are going to benefit from the amount of time left to prepare them and your length of time is fine.

If you read the forum then you find plenty of people who make late decisions to take tests and they either have a mad 3 week dash through some papers, or nothing at all in the way or prep.... or the other thing that can happen is months and months of the WRONG TYPE OF PREP :roll:
emsy

Post by emsy »

Don't worry - we started preparing last Easter for last year's Altrincham Boys exam so you have longer than us and my son passed with a very good score. There was a mock exam at North Cestrian school last April which my son found helpful as it involved a morning of tests similar to the entrance tests in an unfamiliar place with children he did't know. He had a letter advertising the mocks from his school (an Altrincham area state primary). I can PM more details if you want.
frosties

Post by frosties »

Hi Ashwini
When you start exam prep just depends on your child. I'm doing this for the 3rd time now and I started at different times with all 3 of mine, so no it's not too late !
I've taken mine for mock exams at a centre near us for their summer school. We liked it as it wasn't just sit the papers and we'll give you the score. It included tuition on techniques and afterwards also went over the answers from the papers with the children.
I don't think we're allowed to advertise here so will pm you the name where I took mine.
Frosties
overanxious

Post by overanxious »

Don't panic! I hope you're not too late - because that means I am too :D I'm going to start gently after Feb half term. This is my 2nd time - I didn't start with my eldest until the summer hols beforehand :lol: Am starting earlier this time but just going to do the same amount of work over a longer period - it got boring for us doing so much in a short space of time.

Good luck!
ashwini24

Post by ashwini24 »

Thanks overanxious,

I feel much better now. Just going through the list of books I need for the prep. (Too many to choose, please help)

I have got lots of Exam papers from different publishers, school websites & internet for VR, NVR but not actual books which cover what 11+ prep needs.

Are there any books for VR to cover each type?

Again what kind of prep is needed for Non verbal before she starts doing the Test papers? Or it needs practice only.

Thanks

Ash
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

practice makes perfect with NVR , teh more you do the easier it gets to "spot" the right one.

Jigsaws, spot the difference and games like tetris all help hone the sort of skills used in the NVR.
ashwini24

Post by ashwini24 »

Thanks for the tip yoyo123, she loves Jigsaws so np