VR practice and technique

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
talea51

VR practice and technique

Post by talea51 »

Hi

I apologise if this question has been asked before, but I am starting to hyperventilate because I am panicking that I have no idea how to teach my child how to do VR.

So please can you let me know if there are books that I can get that will help me teach my child the correct methods for working out the VR questions. We will be doing the 11+ in Essex so I am told that they use 21 type VR questions although I have no idea what that actually means.

Thanks!
mitasol

Re: VR practice and technique

Post by mitasol »

The IPS book covers Nfer type questions. http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/ ... %3D0%23b85" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
manicmummy

Post by manicmummy »

Take a look at Susan Daughtrey - technique and practice books 1-4 ...my daughter used these in year 4-5
We also completed all the Bond practice books and papers ....may not all be relevant question types but expanded her vocab
and definitions and as a result scored highly in all her practice exams ......
concentrated heavily on vr as this has double weighting in essex .....arggggh Mar 1 st looms
best of luck ***
patricia

Post by patricia »

If the test is 21 types multiple choice by GL assessment, the Susan daughtrey books 1 - 4 and Bond books are not relevant material. They use irrelevant types and are in standard form [different techniques for multiple choice]

Take a look at the following link for 21 type questions.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =12&t=4782" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Patricia
manicmummy

Post by manicmummy »

Talea
Not being a tutor/teacher just a mum I can only impart what i found helpful tutoring my daughter ....I think my daughter exhausted nearly every piece of material on the market ..but she loved vr... only time will tell. wish you luck you will get lots of good advice on here and lots of support.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

patricia wrote:If the test is 21 types multiple choice by GL assessment, the Susan daughtrey books 1 - 4 and Bond books are not relevant material. They use irrelevant types and are in standard form [different techniques for multiple choice]
Patricia
Hi Patricia,

I live in a region (Midlands) which does not do the 21 types. However, I don't understand what thoses 21 types are. :oops:

In Daughtrey's books 1-4, there are 35 chapers, I think corresponding to different types.
Are the 21 types included in these 35 types? :?:

Would it be suitable for my DS to work on IPS 11 plus Verbal Reasoning Method and Technique Guide for Parents and Pupils besides the Daughtrey's books? I have heard people in my city doing also the IPS and AFN papers for practise

All that is very confusing! :cry:
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear JaneEyre

The Susan Daughtrey books show 35 plus types of questions all in standard form. Therefore areas that use the 21 types in multiple choice should avoid these books, as there are different techniques for multiple choice and there is no need to use many of the types. Some types are similar but not exact.

The following link shows the 21 types.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advice ... t-a-glance" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Publishers that cover the 21 types include:

IPS
AFN
The Tutors
Madeleine Guyon
Walsh
Susan Daughtrey [Bright Sparks]

Do you know who the publishers are for the tests in your area/school?

Patricia
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Dear Patricia,

In Birmingham, the exams are set by university of Durham CEM, so there is no traditional verbal reasoning as in Essex. It seems the questions in the exams are about synonyms, antonyms and there is a close test. So logically, we shouldn’t use the VR books, should we?

However, I hear parents of children having gone through this hurdle saying that their tutor had set work from Susan Daughtrey in VR! So I feel rather confused. May be these preparation in VR is relevant as it teaches the children various synonyms and antonyms... and many other words?

Do some good lists of synonyms and antonyms exist?
fm

Post by fm »

Traditional verbal reasoning is a must for Handsworth Boys' Grammar.

For KES, you have a broader variety of questions rather than a standard NFER type test.

For KE, there is no need to do VR at all if the exam remains in roughly the current format.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Dear fm,

Thanks for your guidance! My DS won't sit Handsworth boys' but he will sit entrance exam for KES.

What are the proper papers to go through in that case?

Is the IPS 11 plus Verbal Reasoning Method and Technique Guide for Parents and Pupils a good tool for the preparation or are the Susan Daughtrey books and the Bond ones sufficient?

Thanks in advance!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now