KEHS interviews

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
firsttimermum

KEHS interviews

Post by firsttimermum »

Hi, just wondering if anyone has heard from KEHS regarding interviews for APs or scholarships? Having bitten off all my nails I thought i would share my concern...when asked on exam day regarding if fortunate enough when should we expect calls...was told end of this week...haven't heard anything..shall I take this as bad news..since results are due out in just over a week! They have not really left themselves much of a window.. :? :?

ftm
rachag

Re: KEHS interviews

Post by rachag »

From this site last year, I read that KEHS don't normally interview for scholarships but they def interviewed last year for potential scholarship candidates. Letters calling for scholarship interviews arrived on Thursday following exams i.e the equivalent of today! The children were interviewed the equivalent of early next week.
Sorry but don't know about bursaries.
firsttimermum

Post by firsttimermum »

Mike hav u heard anything ? I'm assuming you applied for an AP
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I've not heard anything but I believe some people have - I must admit I've written KEHS off after Miss 1880 emerged on Friday and proudly stated she'd finished the English exam in 25 mins. Oops. :roll:

Mike
firsttimermum

Post by firsttimermum »

Hi Mike,

Oh well that rules that out then, do you know of people who have been called? Im assuming scholarship candidates would have been called in first! How did you DD find the exam..........mine said second day was easier than the first. For english they had two pieces of writing, a letter of complaint and a descriptive task about something beautiful...maybe your daughter just found it easy !
I was trying to scroll down last years posts to see if someone was called for an interview re a bursary. I remember there was one parent whose daughter did get a full bursary.

FTM
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I just wish the daughter we had 12 months ago had taken the exam instead of the one we've got currently...I'm afraid this year's model would be satisfied just to slap something/anything down in the answers where last year's would have laboured long and hard to create perfection.

I did a trawl to try to work out who was likely to be interviewed and came away none the wiser. In theory they will interview for scholarships and APs, but as far as I can tell last year may have been the first time they've done interviews and I don't know whether they'd interview for all of them or just some, and if it was just some exactly which subset it might be.

How did you and your daughter get on at EHS?

Mike
fm

Post by fm »

Three years ago they split some of their scholarships into fairly small percentages (6.25%) and offered quite a few but did not interview the child offered them. They simply offered the scholarship at the same time as the place. One of mine was also offered a bursary but I don't think was interviewed for such, perhaps because she already had one at prep. school.

Two years ago I only had one candidate and she neither warranted a scholarship or bursary but simply heard she'd passed through letter.

One year ago I had a pupil offered a substantial scholarship and she was interviewed if memory serves me right.

KEHS are looking for a certain profile of child, leaning towards very good English skills and acceptable maths skills, whereas the KE exam tends to identify girls who are more inclined towards maths and non-verbal but who can also spell and learn vocabulary. Obviously some girls will be high level performers in both area and therefore pass both exams, but I have had several good candidates who miss out on KEHS yet attain a KE.

Certainly I would not conclude anything from a pass or fail at KEHS as far as attainment of a KE is concerned.
firsttimermum

Post by firsttimermum »

Hi fm and Mike,

DD did come out really confident, which is probably I had my hopes up! I dont think they have much of a chance if we dont hear anything today. I did try and call, however as Mike said they didnt give anything away...only that if they need to contact us they will :( , and that they had interviewed one or two pupils, but didnt disclose what it was for. She also added that the late exam was to be held on monday, therefore not to assume anything.

Fm I recall you telling us about a girl who got a full bursary, but turned it down for a place at CH. Do you remember if they had an interview ?

FTM
firsttimermum

Post by firsttimermum »

Re the EHS, she said it was easy.However as the majority of girls were from EHS they had practised the exam to death ! She was happy about the interview but said she was asked if she was a member of the choir or any clubs at school... to which she said ...none !!!!! She was also asked about current issues in the news, to which she said none....just when we had been talking about it earlier !! I do know though they have made up thier minds and will send out results next week.

How about your DD ?

FTM
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

It sounds as though ours had the same interview at EHS! I believe ours managed to give the impression that her school is a cultural desert with no activities worthy of the name (tbh, probably not totally inaccurate except sport) which seemed to elicit great sympathy from Dr W, but had clearly not seen a news programme for at least a month.

Ours thought the EHS exam very easy as well, especially the maths (our bitter arguments over Manchester Grammar maths papers do seem to have been worthwhile in the end - she also thought the KEHS maths was quite straightforward by comparison). But we'll have to wait and see what the letter says.

She also thought the KEHS exam was relatively easy (but while I'd be happy if she'd finished the Maths exam in 25 mins, I tend to think that anyone who finishes a one hour English exam in that time has missed the point). At least she thoroughly enjoyed it, made some new friends and missed a couple of the constant barrage of assessments and SATS practice tests at school :roll: .

Mike