To tutor or not to tutor?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

lulu1408

To tutor or not to tutor?

Post by lulu1408 »

After the near miss we just experienced with DS, DD is in year 4 and really wants to go to GS. She's now in a new school and really thriving. It's quite an academic state school (over 30% passed and there were 5 successful appeals). Is it too early to start prepping DD for 11+? DD loves reading, keen to complete her homework on time and now starting to understand Maths. Is there anywhere in Bucks where she can be assessed to find out whether she is capable? Does tutoring work? Thankfully we don't have to do both NVR & VR. What books are recommended for preparation? Thanks in advance. It's probably too early but I don't want to ever go to an appeal hearing again if I can help it :)
KS10

Re: To tutor or not to tutor?

Post by KS10 »

This question has been asked a number of times and I believe the general consensus is that as long as it's fun and doesn't feel like tutoring it's ok. People have suggested reading to them, playing word games such as 'Boggle' and ... (someone will fill in the blanks, I'm sure). Of course, this is about you helping and not employing a tutor. I tend not to give an opinion about tutoring as it's just that - my opinion. All I will say is that OH and I started working with DS in the January before his test, with periods when he did nothing and periods when he did loads.