What Recession?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

lefol

What Recession?

Post by lefol »

I actually thought that fewer parents would apply for indie places this year due to the recession, however it seems from visiting schools and talking to parents, that the numbers have increased by at least 20% ? I am curious?
no_ball

Re: What Recession?

Post by no_ball »

State school education heading back into the dark ages.
yogkruti

Post by yogkruti »

I think the number of applications this year have increased across the board.

For selective (state) schools the application increase is much more than 20% (at least in Herts).
sonu

Post by sonu »

Interesting question.

Think the bad press about state schools in inner city areas does not help. People are probably scared to send their kids to some state schools.
la boume

Re: What Recession

Post by la boume »

Still...
it seems that Lots of people have high-paid jobs or rich grandparents/godparents/benefactors
pist

Post by pist »

Plenty of parents I know work their socks off and go without, to secure their children a decent education. Interestingly cars are bigger and more expensive outside our local state school than outside local indie.
la boume

Post by la boume »

Plenty of people I know work really hard and still can't find additional £15-16x2/3 a year. what do you mean by working their socks off, work long hours, work night shifts, work several jobs or something else?
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

I think this debate of those that have and those that don't has been covered many times before. This also includes the debate about those that have and don't send to indie and those that do not have but manage to send to indie...Without sounding patronising this debate is getting quite boring now.
I personally have used this site to help my DS achieve his full potential in the beginning. Without some of the advice and guidance freely given think he would have missed on several marks. Now that we are through the tunnel, I shall continue to offer any advice I can irrespective of social or financial background.
pist

Post by pist »

"Plenty of people I know work really hard and still can't find additional £15-16x2/3 a year. what do you mean by working their socks off, work long hours, work night shifts, work several jobs or something else?" sorry couldn't get quote to work.

Wasn't looking for a have/have not argument - but yes some times all of those- simply commenting on the o.p. fact that the recession hasn't depleted the number of applicants to indies that much - and not all applicants are rich. Also think that many indies have more bursaries availabe - so more parents might try for those
purplerose69

Post by purplerose69 »

One other reason for the increase is overpopulation in the UK. Therefore, oversubscription.