Advice needed from working mums

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Lookinglass

Advice needed from working mums

Post by Lookinglass »

I would like to know how all the working mums keep their houses clean, their kids fulfilled inside and outside school, their husbands happy and still have a fulfilled life themselves without a total brain overload.........

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated :idea:
yoyo123

Re: Advice needed from working mums

Post by yoyo123 »

if you find out let me know....

I never managed any of that
SSM

Post by SSM »

I think only working mums that have fantastically paid jobs can achieve all the above. As they're able to enlist cleaners, nannies etc.

I think for the rest of us it's a case of prioritising and being able to see past the piles of ironing, and through all the dust :lol:
Jules7

Post by Jules7 »

My tip is just to accept achieving all that is practically impossible. Doesn't stop me beating myself up for having been irritable or shouted unreasonably at one of the kids though.
A good motto is glass half full, not half empty. Still hard not to wish for a full glass every now and then! At least I don't work Fridays which keeps me sane(ish).
On a practical note I am looking forward to getting the DDs involved in more of the chores as they grow up. However, already finding energy input into getting older one to do some choice morsel of a task, drains the anticipated mental energy saved!
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

The above post makes me wonder at what age children should be given chores around the house. It would be interesting to know what everyone's children are expected to do currently and how old they are.
Mine are 14 and 12 and they have no set jobs. One is very conscientious and doesn't need to be asked to clean out pet cage, tidy room, help to wash up etc. The other does nothing really, even when nagged. In fairness though, he (big clue!) is at school 7 days a week and us rarely home before 7 Monday to Friday.
I agree that most women do not achieve domestic bliss if unable to afford a cleaner/P.A./nanny.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I'm not too sure about giving children jobs to do around the house.

I've always said I never had children to get them to do my housework, but I also am very aware they need to learn for when they have to do it themselves.

From this you will gather that none of mine (except the middle one) have done very much around the house. In saying that, my son who has his own 'place' is very good at housekeeping and a dab hand at cooking. So perhaps they don't need to learn at the mother's knee and only when they 'need' to do it?
SSM

Post by SSM »

I'm with you SD. I was latchkey kid with both parents out working 6 days a week and expected to do cleaning/housework from a young age.

I'm fortunate enough to not have to work, but I do choose to work part-time in order to keep me sane. I think I spoil my DC a bit, in not expecting them to do much around the house. However, I do expect them to put in a lot of effort into homework and other activities.

I suppose I'm trying to give them the type of childhood that I never had. :roll:
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

I'd like to be a superwoman housewife/working Mum as well, but unfortunately I'm not (p'haps I should be putting away the, ironing instead of typing this...!)

In terms of child labour, my DSs have odd jobs around the house, ie. lay/clear the table, make their beds (not very neatly), put clothes in laundry basket. Since the dishwasher broke, I'm also getting them to wash/dry-up at least one meal during the weekend. Not all the jobs are getting done all the time and its often hard work getting them done.

Ds = years 6 and 4
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

I also would love to know!

I started a new years resolution this year for the whole family that simply states:

If you got it out, you put it away!

Strangely the best at upholding it is the six year old. Everyone else I'm still encouraging!

As for jobs - they are all (3 children) responsible for their own bedrooms. I will hover / dust if I can find the carpet but refuse to put stuff away to get to it. Clothes are washed by me if they are in the laundry basket (this rule also applies to OH). All of them make their own breakfast and the older two are capable of cooking simple meals for themselves eg. omelettes, something on toast. DD is responsible for her pets (I am allergic so she has no choice!)

Other than that they have no specific tasks, however when relatives are suddenly expected then it becomes all hands on deck and a mad frenzied tiding up ensues!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

my chidren were really helpful as toddlers an 4year olds, they would tidy their toys away and help polish and dust..

unfortunately it didn;t last. My husband told me not to even attempt to go into18 yr old son's room today as it would upset me.... :shock:

There is something dank lurking in there I am sure!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now