If the sun were shining, the birds singing and.......

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

supermum2

If the sun were shining, the birds singing and.......

Post by supermum2 »

You were given the fantastic and unusal opportunity of being offered Tiffin Grammar and a scholarship/full bursery at Whitgift... which would you choose?

I am off work for a few weeks and going mad with the lack of things to keep my mind occupied. We will find out results from whitgift on Friday/Saturday. I know its unlikely to be so blessed with offers but in order to help the time pass I would ask the lovely forum members especially those as bored of the wait as I am to answer what they would do in such a wonderful position... to be offer a grammar and a scholarship plus bursery at independent, I am desperatley hoping for at least one option and hope that the decision is made for me, but would seriously struggle to state my preference.

Thanks in advanced :)
All I need now is wings!
mana

Re: If the sun were shining, the birds singing and.......

Post by mana »

Hi supermum2.
That's crossed my mind too. I have a couple of years before I am (hope to be) in a similar situation as yours.
I suspect that if Tiffin performs better on the League Tables, then Tiffin should be the obvious choice. Further, I'm unclear regarding scholarships/bursaries. When these are offered at 11+ level, are they guaranteed until leaving that school for University? Is there a chance the private school removes partial or all of it from its existing students in a year or two in order to balance their books better?

In any case, I hope you get the results you wish for. Good luck. Let us know how it goes and how you decided in the end. :)
supermum2

Post by supermum2 »

I am far from from in that wonderful position but thought id ask hyperthetically.

Apparently they offer the bursery for the duration of the eduscation but is means tested each year to see if your situation has changed.

I love the sport at Whitgdesirabeift and love drama at Tiffin. Son is all rounder. I asked him and he said Tiffin, then he said oh I dont know!!!

I think your right the certaintly of grammar school does appear to be more desirable.
All I need now is wings!
mynameisbond

Post by mynameisbond »

Hi there - we were in that position last year. Our daughter was offered a large scholarship at a girls independent school and also Tiffin Girls. There was no contest. We chose Tiffin and have been delighted with everything about the school. We would now not hesitate in choosing grammar over independent. Really hope that you get the result you are hoping for on March 2 .... am not looking forward to goin through it all again next year with DS !
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

I was once told that to make a decision, toss a coin. Before it lands, you'll know the answer, because thats the one you're hoping the coin will land on.
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

We turned down a large scholarship at Whitgift for local grammar and have no regrets (we were not alone-they had 20 scholarships declined that year)
Which school do you live nearest to-they are a long way apart? I would always choose the local school all other things being equal.
waitingagain

Post by waitingagain »

I think you have to know your child and what they require/want. Whitgift is fantastic if you are top at sports, rugby, hockey, pentathlon, swimming to name a few - the swimming coach is great there. The boys I know there all seem very rounded. (I help out with a swimming club who train at Whitgift) Also good for music and drama. Academically Tiffins would be great it depends on what you are after. I have a girl but if I had a sporty boy it would be whitgift if offered bursary.

Good luck with whatever the outcome!
supermum2

Post by supermum2 »

Hello my DS is quite sporty but not the best footballer and his preferred sport Basketball is not done at whitgift competitively until 16.

Distance their journey times are exactly the same give or take 5-10 mins. I saw Whitgift last and fell in love with it but was in love with Tiffin prior...

Anyhow they are both a massive long shot and i will know on Friday the result from whitgift.... I was definately bessoted by the building grounds and the attitude of the drama teacher he was fantastic..

Both schools have what we like a good drama dept, great music facilities and good sporting opportunities.

Not sure about what the classroom sizes are at whitgift but know there intake is large as the teacher mentioned that they would add another class if they needed to which would equate to 8 year 7 classes.

What I value the most is the support provided by the school. Tiffin is extremely unlikely and in the laws of probability has a better chance at Whitgist even if I have to get 3 jobs to pay for it.

Its great hearing everyones opinions on this, this post is opening my mind and giving me something to occupy my mind whilst I awiat the postman on Friday/Saturday.

Is it true its about a 6% chance of getting a place at Tiffin?
All I need now is wings!
supermum2

Post by supermum2 »

pheasantchick wrote:I was once told that to make a decision, toss a coin. Before it lands, you'll know the answer, because thats the one you're hoping the coin will land on.

Tried this several times.. it just didnt work...
All I need now is wings!
vnunny

Post by vnunny »

Hi supermum2, am in similar position in that I'm hoping my DS gets an offer from KGS on Friday/Saturday, but also waiting for Tiffin...

My DS, bless him, has been saying how much he wants to go to KGS now as he knows Tiffin is a long shot and doesn't want to be disappointed (although I know he would LOVE to get in...) We've taken the view that if the offer is made by KGS (if!!), we will take it and pay the deposit required. Then, if he does (if!!) get a Tiffin place he can take that. Feel it will be money well spent either way as if he gets into Tiffin we'll save 6 years of secondary school fees (scholarship or no scholarship).

Also, I believe that Tiffin is one of the Top Five state Grammar schools in the country, and has been so for many years with a fabulous reputation & 'kudos', whereas middle of the road - though good - private schools will be just that. I feel that Tiffin is the 'Eton' or 'Harrow' of the state school equivalent.

Sorry, do my ramblings make any sense?? I'm also going mad with the wait... Starting all this again now with my DD in Yr5...Also waiting for primary school placement for my youngest...Aaaaaargh!!

P.S. For KGS this year apparently it has been unusually hard to get an interview with, several of our friends/colleagues children didn't even get an interview this year, anyone else had an experience?

P.P.S. Sorry to be dense (long day), but can anyone tell me how to put on the smilies? I've disabled them etc, but still no joy.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now