choices

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
jo

choices

Post by jo »

Would really like some advice as my son is currently Year 5 and we will have to be making secondary school decisions over the next few months.

Am totally unprepared and lacking insightlful information into the whole process.

Am slightly depressed to discover our catchment school is Beechwood and I know my son will struggle to pass his eleven plus even though he's getting some extra tutoring.

Was interested in what people had to say re. Burnham Grammer, this is our local grammer even though we are Slough residents.

Don't really know where to start as my options are feeling a bit hopeless. Any top tips from anyone who's gone through the process would be greatly appreciated.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hi Jo,

I have answered on the Bucks thread about Bucks schools. Are you preparing your son for the Slough test as well as the Bucks one?

Catherine
jo

Post by jo »

Hi

He has just recently started some extra coaching which is aimed at covering tests in both Slough and Bucks.

He's really struggling with the work and although we'll keep plugging away at it, I think he's going to find it hard, particularly the maths.

He will sit the Bucks test at school whatever, I'm just wondering whether it's worth putting him through the trauma of the slough test at all or using up spaces on schools he's unlikely to get into.

Really want to be realistic.

Post by Guest »

Hi Jo, Glad that your're trying to encourage your son with the extra help but maybe when you say he's really struggling with the work maybe in a month or so's time if he's still struggling then please think very carefully about Grammar School. Getting in can sometimes be the easy bit - its then trying to keep up with people when your're there - i know ive been there :( . I would ceratinly give it your best shot as Beechwood isn't the best (only my humble opinion) but Gramar isnt the Be All and End All.

Good Luck
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Jo,

It could be too early to give up with the Slough test just yet, not sure, but alternatively, if maths is the harder subject for your son, you could think of concentrating on verbal reasoning only for the Bucks tests.
One of my son's friend was in this situation last year, did not pass, and his parents regretted to have tried for both.
Just something to consider..

Are you totally happy with your son's tutor? I know by experience that many tutors are not as good as they should be. :evil:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now