Tunbridge Wells Boys Grammar School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
DICANIO

Tunbridge Wells Boys Grammar School

Post by DICANIO »

I have a ds aged 8 who will sit 11 plus in September 2012.
We are currently moving house and have seen a property we like in Golden Green.
As ds is unlikely to acheive marks high enough for Judd or Skinners I wonder if Golden Green is in the catchment area for TWBGS? Does anyone know of boys who attend TWBGS from that area or beyond. Golden Green is aprroximately 5.5 miles from TWBGS as the crow flies.
Thanks for your help
mystery

Re: Tunbridge Wells Boys Grammar School

Post by mystery »

The best thing to do is to phone the school and give them a postcode / address and ask them if living at that address would have given you a place on 1 March for the last few years. The other thing you will want to find out about is if there is a school bus service in from there, and generally several other children living in the area who attend the same school. This will make it much pleasanter.
kentsussexborder

Post by kentsussexborder »

I would be cautious and check that Golden Green doesn't fall within the Mascalls Comprehensive area. It's pretty close to Hadlow so may come under the Hadlow parish. It's difficult to tell from the KCC map (which has no fine detail at all) but they do say that if you aren't sure check under the "transport" section of the school in which you are interested in the current admissions booklet.

This is the transport section copied and pasted from the Boys' Grammar part of the KCC admissions booklet:

"Transport
Pupils living in the following areas and parishes are eligible for
free transport if they live more than three miles away: Brasted,
Bidborough, Chevening, Chiddingstone, Cowden, Dunton
Green, Edenbridge, Hadlow, Halstead, Hever, Hildenborough,
Ide Hill, Ightham, Kemsing, Knockholt, Langton Green, Leigh,
Otford, Pembury, Penshurst, Plaxtol, Riverhead, Seal, Sevenoaks,
Shoreham, Shipbourne, Speldhurst, Sundridge, Tonbridge,
Tunbridge Wells, Weald, Westerham."

If your parish in Golden Green doesn't fall within these parishes then I would be doubtful if you would be in the TWGSB catchment.
NJM

Post by NJM »

Hi I have just joined this forum to answer the question about Golden Green, I know of 2 boys that go to TWBGS and both live in GG, 1 in year 8 and the other year 9.