DD skip a grade - would you hold her back for 11+?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
nonethewiser

DD skip a grade - would you hold her back for 11+?

Post by nonethewiser »

Hi all. firstly, it is a great forum and thank you all parents for sharing your wealth of info.

My DD is year 5 this year and so far, her 11+ prep has been soft (ie. just 2-3 practice sheets a week, no formal tutoring since we can't afford it). From what I can surmise from her teacher, she is doing well in school but I feel that she might need more help; especially in answering comprehension.

She did skip Year 3 and now doing higher level work in Year 5. I am at wit's end - should I hold her back a year so that she resit 11+ in 2012/13 or should I go ahead and let her take the 11+ this year? I would love to hear your opinions
Waiting_For_Godot

Re: DD skip a grade - would you hold her back for 11+?

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

It depends what school you're looking at. If it's GS you may not have the option as they usually only take children in the correct year group. If it is for inde then if I were you I would look for a highly selective, put her back in year group and try for a scholarship. DS got into three very selective inde's a year early but in the end we decided that we wanted him to have the stamina to take on more extra-curric without his school work suffering or him being too pressured. Life also gets more complicated socially when children go through puberty so why make it a more difficult time if the child ends up being one of the last to develop physically and mentally, not to mention keeping them naive for as long as possible!
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

I would check with your local authority. You may not be allowed to as their could be strict age citeria for sitting the exam.
marigold

Post by marigold »

I have a friend whose son was moved up a year in Year 3 and was allowed to sit the 11plus in Wiltshire a year early. He is an October birthday so not significantly young for the year.

I would however agree with wfg's comments about being out of step in years to come if a child is much younger than their peers. It is a fairly trivial point but one that is having an impact on our lives at the moment. My daughter is 17 and an August birthday. Many of her friends are turning 18 and as they all seem to be celebrating in nightclubs she has been unable to attend unless it is a formal party, they have very strict door policies in this area. She has got some fake ID but luckily has yet to be brave enough to use it thank the lord, the photo shows a dark haired girl and she is strawberry blonde.

I think many parents would love the opportunity to have an extra year to prepare for the exam, how does your daughter feel about it ? It may be humiliating to have to stay behind when all her friends are moving forward but if she really wants the chance to pass the 11plus and go to a fantastic school she may be happy to consider it.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Actually, I think the GS must consider a request for early testing but that doesn't mean they have to agree to it.

It is also worth bearing in mind, that many will only allow sitting the test once. So if you do not qualify you will not be able to sit it again in the following year.
nonethewiser

Post by nonethewiser »

Hello all, thank you very much for your replies.

I would agree that it is a potential minefield when she is in her teens and not able to do stuff her friends could do (party and such like). Just had a PTA meeting today and her class teacher thought she would be good to go for 11+. I know that she would be a little sad to stay behind a year whilst her mates are in secondary school. Lots to think about. :D
nonethewiser

Post by nonethewiser »

WGS, you must be so proud! How did it work out? Did the schools reserve a place for your DS for the next intake?

Marigold - LOL, how in the world did you find out about the fake ID? :lol:
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

My situation was different because we applied to three independent schools, not grammar, a year early so their admissions are more flexible. He did get into them all a year early and when we decided on the school that was the point we decided to put him in his own year group. Two schools I felt were robust, edgy environments and I wanted him to be the eldest. If I'd chosen the other school then I would have sent him a year early. The school did not require another entrance test so they happily deferred the place, but every school is different.
nonethewiser

Post by nonethewiser »

Thanks for that :D
R3ad1ngDad

Post by R3ad1ngDad »

Our son was accelerated from reception to yr 2 we had to hold him back a year (2 yr 6's) as he is a late Jan B'day and so too young for the Reading School exam (they said if we pushed he could take the exam but would be offered a deferred place if he passed). It is also a rule that if they start yr7 anywhere they can not do the 11+..

Definitely check the exact criteria for your local school

Also though we were looking at a boarding school as well and were worried about his lack of social skills - with good reason as although he passed their extremely demanding entrance exams (far above 11+ level) even on yr6 mk2 he was deemed not suitable for their boarding environment due to perceived social immaturity compared to others. This was likely exasperated by being at a standard primary and against lot of prep school opposition.

I would say as long as his primary can give him extension work (ours arranged maths at a local secondary and he does a lot of work with the music teacher creating and managing the database of instruments etc) then repeating yr6 will be fine but go with your gut as only you know your school, the next years children and your child

He has just been offered a place at Reading School so as no one from his school went there last year and only 1 other this year the friends element is irrelevant - if anything it has widened his very narrow social group