At what age does my son finish his compulsory education?

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Fatandfifty

At what age does my son finish his compulsory education?

Post by Fatandfifty »

My DS was born in 1997 and is currently in Year 9, he wishes to continue onto A levels. My question is I heard on the radio many moons ago that he was to stay on in education until the age of 17. Does that mean his school, which only goes up to Year 11 holds him there for another year, and if so to do what, or he transfers to the College of FE in Year 12 and stays there for three years to do his AS and A levels?

Confused as neither the school or the College of FE have room to swing a cat with regards to holding children for an extra year. Is this just another Government ploy to keep the majority of the dole queue?

Please advise.
hermanmunster

Re: At what age does my son finish his compulsory education?

Post by hermanmunster »

he does have to stay until 17, my DD is in the same year. She has a sixth form at her school so wasn't and issue but really not sure what they are going to do with schools that don't have facilities.

Yes it was the previous regimes idea, whether the current incarnation will change things.... I expect that all places with sixth forms will have to increase a bit to create some places.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I thought they were changing it so they had to stay on until 18 - or have I misread that somewhere?
mad?

Post by mad? »

Fatandfifty wrote: Is this just another Government ploy to keep the majority of the dole queue?

Please advise.
yes :?
mad?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

they could stay at school until 67 and do away with unemployment altogether....

simples

makes as much sense as most of the "initiatives" over the span of my teaching career
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

yoyo123 wrote:they could stay at school until 67 and do away with unemployment altogether....

simples

makes as much sense as most of the "initiatives" over the span of my teaching career
Almost as bad as the NHS :lol: :lol: :lol:

Snowy, Think the gradual aim is to get to 18 but the current year 9's are the "17" group IYSWIM... ugh best ask receptionists for more tea
KB

Post by KB »

I think the plan is that they have to stay in full time education not necessarily at school?
For those intending to take A level courses it shouldn't make any difference - the issue is what happens to non-academics.
Hopefully they will be able to take courses that are helpful in increasing their job prospects if/when the economy improves - we can only hope that by the time the current year 9 are 17/18 there may be some opportunities for them.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Yes
The Education and Skills Act 2008 increased the minimum age at which young people in England can leave learning. This requires them to continue in education or training to the age of 17 from 2013 and to 18 from 2015. Young people will be able to choose whether to stay in full-time education, undertake work-based learning such as an Apprenticeship, or part-time education or training if they are employed, self-employed or volunteering for more than 20 hours per week.
So for children intending to do A level's there is no change. Children wanting to leave school and get a job can still do so as long as the job has a "training element" to it, eg. you can leave school at 16 to become an apprentice hairdresser (attending college part-time) but not to sweep the floor of the hairdressers.