2012 admittance procedures are in draft

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
rubyhettybetty

2012 admittance procedures are in draft

Post by rubyhettybetty »

The secondary admittance procedures for 2012 secondary transfer are now available on the Medway Council website (as an appendix to an agenda item - Cabinet 15th Feb)

No big news really - test day is Sat 24th Sept, format the same.

Looks like Roch Grammar for Girls is adding 15 to their PAN...
tiredmum

Re: 2012 admittance procedures are in draft

Post by tiredmum »

RGS has to add to their PAN as year after year they take more girls on appeal and im not sure of the exact rules but something llike if you do that for so many years running they are advised to up their PAN by Medway admissions.

I suspect once it is up from 165 to 180 they will not take so many on appeal - they normally try and take all those who passed, who appeal and wanted it as their first choice school. When i appealed for 2010 entry, i questioned the school on their 165 intake and they said they could take up to ten more without problems to school etc. I think they took 8 that year.
paulap

Post by paulap »

This will be good news for some.

In the 2010 admissions, DD knew two girls who listed RGS as their first choice (but who didn't reach the cut-off mark as they went through on appeal) who didn't get a place.

Will this mean that they no longer use their own cut-off score, I wonder?
rubyhettybetty

Post by rubyhettybetty »

I think it will depend on each year's cohort - for 2011 admissions the number of girls is particularly low
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

paulap wrote:This will be good news for some.

In the 2010 admissions, DD knew two girls who listed RGS as their first choice (but who didn't reach the cut-off mark as they went through on appeal) who didn't get a place.

Hi paula
do you mean that your dd's friends appealed but still didnt get a place or after appeal they were given a place?? :)
paulap

Post by paulap »

tiredmum wrote:
paulap wrote:This will be good news for some.

Hi paula
do you mean that your dd's friends appealed but still didnt get a place or after appeal they were given a place?? :)
Hi,

They both failed their 11+ by a couple of marks but managed to get through on review/appeal (not quite sure what you call it). They both listed RGS as their first choice and FP as their second but both got FP even though one is very musically gifted. I assumed it was because they didn't reach the cut-off mark which I believe was 534.
rubyhettybetty

Post by rubyhettybetty »

Maybe they were just unlucky - RGS do take girls below their cut off, and from non qual appeals also
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

paula didnt say they appealed for RGS - if they didnt meet cut off at allocation they wouldnt get a place- the cutoff is just the score th 165th girl got. They would need to then appeal - my dd passed the 11 plus but was 2 points below cut off for RGS - we were allocated her second choice school but appealed to RGS and were offered a place. I think about 30 appealed and 8 got places.
Tricia5

Post by Tricia5 »

Did you spot the following in Cabinet notes; 6.4 Secondary co-ordinated admissions scheme

" ...during the course of 2011, officers plan to undertake a review of how testing is delivered and how pupils are deemed selective. The results of this review will be put forward for consideration with a view to be implemented for 2013 admissions."

Interesting?
rubyhettybetty

Post by rubyhettybetty »

I think this is in response to the problem that by setting the limit at 25% of selective, the cohorts recently have been small and hence there are spaces in Medway grammar schools. I think they are going to try and fill them (I do hope so!!)

Will only affect my 3rd I think
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now