Kingston Grammar - gifted and talented

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
nada

Kingston Grammar - gifted and talented

Post by nada »

If a child gets an offer for sholarship at the above school, would they put him on the Gifted and talented register and what that in reality means? It sounds very exciting but what do they do? Many thanks.
mumoffour

Re: Kingston Grammar - gifted and talented

Post by mumoffour »

I have only ever heard that phrase in a State school context - but I'm no expert. Why not just ask them at KGS?

Well done to your child (girl presumably, boys are still waiting!)
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

My DC was put on the G&T register at a not terribly academic but ok indie and I was told that it was because she was in the top 10% in the school which I think is the same criterion the state schools use. This means that if DC moved to a more academic school (as happened) they wouldn't necessarily be classed as G&T. Locally we have two schools next door to each other, one grammar, one not. Both have or had the G&T system but the top 10% at one would be more like the bottom 10% at the other but both would be classed as G&T. All in all a bit of a strange system but gives you a clue how your DC is owing compared to their peers. I think! :roll:
scary mum
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

We had some children from the bottom maths set at our school go to the local comp and actually become gifted and talented at maths! This was because all the children from the top set went elsewhere so suddenly their maths level became the top ten percent. So, as with everything to do with exams, it is not how bright your child is, it is how bright they are compared to everyone else's child. And if you want to find this out then sit some eleven plus exams for selective states and indies and your child's level in their peer group will become very clear to you! DG
Will

Post by Will »

My son has a scholarship at KGS and has attended events organised by the school to help stretch his thinking. They attend the sessions in school time and with other scholars. Other than those events I haven't spotted anything different between what is expected of him (or offered) than any other child. I'm very grateful for the scholarship though as I do think it has boosted his confidence and ensures he continues to work hard.
harrow123

Post by harrow123 »

scary mum wrote:My DC was put on the G&T register at a not terribly academic but ok indie and I was told that it was because she was in the top 10% in the school which I think is the same criterion the state schools use. This means that if DC moved to a more academic school (as happened) they wouldn't necessarily be classed as G&T. Locally we have two schools next door to each other, one grammar, one not. Both have or had the G&T system but the top 10% at one would be more like the bottom 10% at the other but both would be classed as G&T. All in all a bit of a strange system but gives you a clue how your DC is owing compared to their peers. I think! :roll:
are you saying top 10% of tiffin boys may be at par with bottom 10% of KGS pupil. such a big difference ?
mad?

Post by mad? »

No, she is saying that the top 10% of one school might not be the same as another.
mad?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now