Am I turning into a teachers nightmare ?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
scarlett

Am I turning into a teachers nightmare ?

Post by scarlett »

Please be honest and tell me if I am turning into a bit of a nightmare.I posted another thread about my daughters reading who is on stage 9 but they want to roll out the reading recovery programme with.I had that all sorted in my mind, but yest. she came home in tears saying she was bottom of the class, because most of the children had been moved up a level, but she hadn't.Thst's fine...her teacher is the teacher and I just said we would practice.Anyway, when I looked in her bag, she had been given books she has read before and without any problems and when I went to school this morning to change them , my dd said she wasn't allowed most of the books in the box because they are too easy ! :shock: That leaves about 2....is she expected to constantly re read them ? :( Anyway, I put all the books back and told my dd that we will do our own reading scheme and I will go to Waterstones etc later to buy some more challenging books.I really don't know what is going on...she also knows most of those 200 words they should know by the end of year2...so whats the problem?

I know you will say speak to the teacher...but I just go round in circles...what should i do ? ( apart from turning to drink ? :D )
WorriedRuby

Re: Am I turning into a teachers nightmare ?

Post by WorriedRuby »

Scarlett,

sorry to hear that you and your dd are having bad time.

I am also having problem with my dc school, all due to reading. today when I wanted to speak to the teacher I was waiting at the classroom and she just shut the door even though she noticed me. :( Hope you school teacher is bit helpful.

Last week my dc was given low level book and I went to the teacher and i was told it was mistake. :o
I am thinking about not taking any books from school at all, why to bother when they can't give right level book to dc?
I borrow lots of books from the library , same series but higher level and my dc reads fluently and happily.

My other problem is whether teacher listens to the children at all, I can't see any comments in the book, so was wondering how do they decide which level is best for your child? Parent evening is in March so will have to wait.

Sorry I can't help you. but only thing u can do is ask the teacher.
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

If I was in your situation I would take every book at that level(I have no idea how many there are :? ) home for the half term and a few of the next level. I would then read all of them with her,checking her understanding as we go and writing in how well she has read and how long it took. I would then speak to the head after the half term break with your 'proof' of her ability.
Alternatively I would do as my mother did when I was small and just take in the books that I was reading at home. It did cause a few problems as I had to go to the big school for my reading books after that. :lol: :roll:
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Scarlett...just read your other thread. I do think unfortunately you need to speak to the teacher. Your child has come home in floods of tears, she is 6 years old. Something is not right here. I used to absolutely hate the mind games the school used to play with reading schemes, and that is one of the things I love about not having young children any more. You'd have the teachers not hearing them read, you'd have mums in the playground telling you their child was four colours higher on the reading scheme (I'm obv old , we had colours, not stages when mine were that age :o )and been at school for two terms less than yours, I used to go and physically change the book myself, because we'd have finished it and no-one would notice etc etc.
If your daughter is struggling with her reading, and to me it does not sound like it at all, you deserve to know about it. If she is not struggling with her reading, then what's going on ? You have to find out, don't worry what the teacher thinks of you
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

Scarlett

The teacher/school seems to be turning reading into a bad experience for your DD and I would be unhappy about this. Something is going wrong here. If it is a one off misunderstanding then the class teacher should be able to have a chat with you and sort it out - give your DD the right level books that both you and she are happy with - secure with some challenge BUT it sounds to me like this has been ongoing (sorry I haven't read about it on another thread so don't know the background). A reading scheme is only one small part of the reading experience so don't let it dominate if it is not going well and try to really enjoy books with your DD Don't let her see your anxiety about the school reading scheme problem.

Meanwhile you need to consider your options. Are you happy in general with the school and teachers/head there? Do you have a good relationship with them usually? What is the general feeling from other parents? happy and satisfied or not so? I say this because my Dcs went to a school which had a very poor teacher (who dominated the school and had been there for 25 years)she had them for 2 years as it was a mixed age class -small school. She used a very old tatty scheme and had rigid rules about going through EVERY book no matter how easy etc She rarely read to the children and used loads of worksheets/workbooks (in the infants!!) After sticking it out for years with my 3 DCs I eventually made the decision to change schools which was hard and I am SO pleased I did. The new school (just another state primary of a similar size) is fantastic and I like everything about it. The move was made easier because another parent had already made the change and my DS was friendly with her DS. My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. My 3 DCs all had this teacher which meant (with 3 kids at 2 years each with her) that I had to put up with her for 6 years!!!

I felt like I was the teachers/school nightmare because I was so unhappy even though I did everything I could to try help and be positive - even becoming a parent governor and doing masses of pta stuff to help the school. It was difficult and in the end several families moved their DCs so I was not the only one. I now wish I had not tried so hard to help THEM but put my DCs first and changed when I realised I was unhappy after giving them a fair chance. By all means give them a chance but in the end think of your DD. Sorry if this sounds so serious but my experience tells me that sometimes it is the teacher or school that is the nightmare not the parent!!!! And believe me people usually describe me as laid back and easy going. I am not the fussy pushy parent type at all but I am quietly passionate about education and especially books and reading.

I hope you get it sorted, don't let it get you down and enjoy exploring books and reading with your DD
pist

Post by pist »

Ehhh - sounds like you should speak to the teacher :roll:

Schools differ, but many schools will not allow you to take home as many books as previous poster suggested.

So TIPS:

-Do first try to speak to teacher - you might be positively surprised

-With regards to levels, if this helps you, in my dds' infant school (state) the target was for most pupil to have finished the Biff and Chip books (level 9) by end of yr 1 (the scheme itself is aimed to finish end yr 2)- and certainly the majority (70-75 % ish) did.

- If you do not succed in getting appropriate reading material from school head for the charity shops. Buying scheme books can cost you a fortune - and your child will learn from any roughly right level books she gets to read, so look for ladybird books, first young puffins, colour young puffins, the colour banana books, and anything else that looks about right (most schools stop reading scheme books after stage 9 anyway I think - ours did) - and guess what - you will probably find some scheme books there too! ( Do of course try the library, but if it is anything like ours, there may not be many appropriate level books on the shelf.

:) Good luck
mystery

Post by mystery »

Oh Scarlett, I don't know what to say because I am the biggest pain.

Only you can decide which way to go on this. It depends how peace loving you are versus how much you have got the wind up. I like to clear these things up if at all possible. After two half-terms of battle with my children's school I think, fingers crossed, we are now seeing the light. I have seen the head numerous times, both on my own and as a couple, and we are nearing an official complaint to the governors. Your school would not want one of these right now as (this certainly used to be the case) it has to be detailed in the OFSTED report.

I personally would speak to the school just to see if there is some kind of misunderstanding - I say school, not teacher, because I suspect this one is probably at last partially outside the teacher's control, and you can speak to the headteacher on the phone today, not the teacher. So I would phone up.

And then think of it the cynic's way - they are doing this reading recovery scheme, and have picked your daughter for it for the wrong reasons, to look good at OFSTED methinks. If all the records at school show that your daughter is in no way in need of reading recovery, which she blooming well ain't, then they're scuppered. So they're faking it.

Has the extra one-to-one reading been of any help to her yet?

If it were me, I'd get on that blower right now and tell that headteacher that they are unwittingly (this would be my only element of diplomacy) denying your daughter of educational opportunities suitable to her ability, and that they are also destroying her confidence and happiness at the same time, and they'd better do something about it, today. Ask the head to give her a proper reading age test and put her on the corresponding bookband level.

You then have to be prepared for feelings of daggers in all directions when you enter the school, so do this at your peril. But if you stand your ground it may eventually work and, if it doesn't work, at least you know you tried, and they know you are no pushover on future occasions.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

I don't do reading schemes! If children must be dragged through dull and dire schemes then it's only going to happen in school time.

Take yourself and DC off to the library or a good bookshop and find some lovely books to read. You may have to hold your nerve whilst that unchanged reading book stays at the bottom of the school bag. If you can let go of all that reading book anxiety I'm sure you'll find it rewarding and very liberating.

I'm firmly convinced that reading schemes and policies are at the root of kids disaffection with reading. There are so many really great books out there that they could be reading.

Best of luck.
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

ps when my DCs started at this school this teacher did not use reading record books and didn't bother to listen to the children read at all. When I used my own reading record in a little notebook she never once wrote in it. I would use this notebook to encourage my Dcs - drawing little pictures in it writing comments or sticking in stickers or stars - This teacher did not have role play corner and hardly got out a paint brush EVER! I think you can tell why I was SO disappointed!!

I agree with the other posters - some schools have NO idea how to use reading schemes well and let them become a lazy and/or competitive and negative influence. It can take all the fun, pleasure and sense of wonder from books and reading. Some of the scheme books are so utterly tedious they would be enough to put anyone off!

My advice would be to get lots of excellent books and read them to and with your DD, re-reading for familiarity and enjoyment. Use your instincts to help with sounding out or just tell her any words she can't get after trying. If you suspect a true difficulty then ask for some outside advice and support throught the LA learning support service.
mystery

Post by mystery »

PS, the day the headteacher tested my daughter last September in Year 2 the teacher was insisting that she read bookband 8 books that she had read 9 months previously. I was worried my daughter might not test well, but phew, at the end of the day the headteacher told me she was a free-reader, which I know she had been for a long while prior to that. She came home with a book she was thrilled with, and bingo, reading has been a pleasure ever since.

Now this kind of thing is OK if everyone is on the wrong levels, and all the parents all just go what a load of rubbish and do their own thing. But once your child starts to feel that they are worse than everyone else (and particularly when you know damn well that they are not) it is not good.

It was certainly not roses after that, but it was one of many things sorted, and now 5 months later a few more things are falling into place. The head has reduced me to tears on subsequent occasions - but only once I got home of course.

I know of another school near here (very highly thought of, probably wrongly so!!) where a mother was hauled in and told off by the head for swapping a book with no words for one with words because her daughter could read and was getting dispirited with books with no words.

Hey, your husband could be on the complaints panel!!