Handwriting workbooks

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
HBShope

Handwriting workbooks

Post by HBShope »

The only thing that is letting DS down at the moment is his handwriting. I know boys sometimes don't have great handwriting but it is something DS can work on. Are there any good workbooks out there so that he can do say 10-15 mins daily?

scarlett

Re: Handwriting workbooks

Post by scarlett »

How old is your ds ? My ds1 had awful writing..his f used to look like a s and it was always quite scruffy.I bought some handwriting books from Waterstones which went over the indivdual letters and practiced sentences ...and cursive letters too. Now he is in yr 6 it is much better mainly due to obtaining the ability to have flowing thoughts and get them down on paper in a civilised manner !!

I did have a bit of a job, because by the time I realised his writing was a problem, he had spent years writing in an inproper manner and bad habits are difficult to break !!
HBShope

Post by HBShope »

He's in Y5 so really need a crash course :D

I have another younger lad so I thought I could get both to work on their handwriting. Were the books you bought any good? Do you remember the names?
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Yes, I would practice as bad habits are difficult to break....the books are called "Handwriting today " by Andrew Brodie.There are a few workbooks.It aims to improve your handwriting whether you are 8 or 80 !! :shock: :lol:

The first book also covers how to correctly hold a pencil and the techniques for joining letters etc which sometimes can be the problem.It goes on to show you how to write the first joining letters, to tall letters and for letters like s or r which my son always managed to look like a k ! They are in little sections, so although a bit boring, you only have to do a little at a time.

Now my ds is going to secondary, he is taking greater care with his writing as he did say he thought his looked a bit " babyish " !! Bear in mind though, younger children often have scruffy writing etc as they spend more energy getting their many thoughts down on paper...which I think is more important.Even though my ds was always pulled up on his writing, he was often praised for the imaginative content and I would rather it was that way round ! :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now