Which assessment papers?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
slimpick

Which assessment papers?

Post by slimpick »

Hi All,

My Ds will be taking the 11+ Dec this year, and been going through the bonds assessment papers. Can someone please confirm that i'm on the right track, I'm beginning to feel that were doing the wrong papers for the 'Halifax' area, or is it just me being paranoid :o
mitasol

Re: Which assessment papers?

Post by mitasol »

Hi Slimpick,

Welcome to the forum. :D

I know that in the past the verbal reasoning papers have been Nfer/GL. So it is definitely worth doing some papers in this format.

This list is all GL type papers http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =12&t=4782" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; There is also a new GL paper http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/ ... D30%23b444" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As mentioned the GL papers have been used in recent years but no guarantee that they'll be used in future. This is what the schools have to say (2010) "A nationally validated test in verbal reasoning such as NFER or Centre for Research on Learning and Instruction, University of Edinburgh"
slimpick

Post by slimpick »

Thanks Mitasol,

On the list there's 'IPS', 'The Tutors' and 'Susan Daughtrey' papers mentioned, are they all GL Type assessment papers?. What do i do about the maths because where working through the Bonds maths assessment papers? :|
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

On the list there's 'IPS', 'The Tutors' and 'Susan Daughtrey' papers mentioned, are they all GL Type assessment papers?.
No these are not GL papers but they are all the same format as GL. Until this month there were only 4 commercially available GL papers and they did not contain all the question types that would be found in the real test. So with a limited number of GL/Nfer papers, you may want to do additional papers in the same style as the GL/Nfer test.

The maths paper is written by the school and I used Bond to help prepare for the exam. You should assume that the maths exam will cover all KS2 material and your school may not have taught all the material in time for the exam in December.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Just to add to the above - The exam is biased towards the verbal reasoning paper. The score for the Verbal Reasoning test is weighted at twice that of the Maths test.
slimpick

Post by slimpick »

Great! Thanks for making it abit more clear Mitasol, it's a learning curve for the parent aswell as the child.

I think i need to spend alot more time on this forum. :)
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

You're welcome. I'm afraid that the Yorkshire section can be a bit quiet but there is plenty to explore on the site and lots of great advice.
scientist

Post by scientist »

Hi there,

My Ds took the 11+ this year and did really well, the one thing I found was that he made the decision himself that he wanted to take it as he really liked NHGS when he looked around, I feel this is why he worked so hard and got his place. We used mainly free resources found online and a few papers for WHSmiths, make sure you get the multi choice papers as these are the ones used in the tests, I initially got the ordinary maths ones which are a little more difficult as if they answers wrong it is not always as obvious as in the multi choice.

I know what you mean by a parent's learning curve too, good luck!!