Gudiance required for 11 plus

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Marsha

Gudiance required for 11 plus

Post by Marsha »

I have read this useful site, along with the help being offered. I have been requested by my brother to help him with preparing his son for 11 plus for Watford Grammar, QEB, Dr. Challoners and Latymer Grammar school. My nephew will not be taking his exams till 2008 . I do not want to disappoint my brother as he cannot afford to give him private tution and because both my children are now in Uni doing Dentistry, he thinks I am the ideal person to help him! It was a long time ago and I just need to know what school asks for what and hopefully the rest of the info, I will either get from the school website or from this forum. Any help/guidance/steer offered would be highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Marsha

Post by Guest »

Is your nephew in Yr 4 or yr 5 now?
Exams for entry in Sept 2008?
Marsha

Post by Marsha »

My nephew is in year 5 at the moment.

Marsha

Post by Guest »

only know about QE as my son did not take exams for the others you mentioned.
This means your nephew will sit exams in December 2007 for QE(usually 1st week) for the ist round which is Verbal and Non verbal.

I think there is a new code of admissions for 2008 entry and I am not sure if this will affect QE criteria for the coming exams.
Their web site does not mention anything about it as they are still dealing with this year's allocation.

I did not tutor my son but used materials from the WHSmith.
We also downloaded stuff from this site near the exams and it was very helpful for examtype questions.

Main thing is to read a lot.You find that in most advice given as vocabulary helps in the exams.
QE second round is Maths and English in January 2008 if he gets through the first round. Maths and English standards will be comparable to at least a Level 5 in Sats now .

You have time but you need to know your nephew's level of attainment for the present moment..if he is doing well in school,he will pick up practice work very fast.If he needs to learn a lot of new things especially maths then the pace might have to be faster,so that he will be confident come the exams.

There is a lot of other info for the other exams on the forum.Perhaps others with direct experience of the other schools will reply.

Maybe also keep an eye on new admissions code as it may affect your nephew. QE will probably be able to tell you. Meanwhile,there's no harm starting practising,it helps with schoolwork anyway
Marsha

Post by Marsha »

Thank you very much for your useful comments. I had not realised that the QE exams will start in December 07. Once again thanks.

Marsha

Post by Guest »

Marsha

you're welcome.
The other schools also do their exams in the October/Nov/Dec depending on which school.

I think Latymer does theirs earlier than QE. We looked at it but did not apply(too far and mixed school).Also 2 rounds. If you read in the Herts section for this year you will find when they sit the tests.

Lots of Yr 5 parents get caught out thinking that school applications and exams happen late in Yr 6 . It actually starts the Autumn term in Yr 6 .Sept 2007 to view schools , Oct to apply and Nov/Dec the exams.

I have not looked at the new admissions code proposed by the government for schools to follow as it does not apply to me anymore but it's a bit more research for you to make sure your brother is aware what the school's criteria are.

Good luck

Post by Guest »

Latymer usually do first round (NVR) in the October halfterm of Year 6 (ie 2007) with the second round just a few weeks later in mid-November. 600 approx (from around 1700 applicants) get to this second round where they are tested in maths and English and possibly VR (not sure about this one). This is for 180 places. Latymer has a distance criterion which you'll need to check - your child has to be able to travel to school within one hour. All second round candidates have to fill in a questionnaire about extra-curricular activities which influences the final rankings.

Best to keep an eye on the website though as things do change from year to year. They have open days in September which always attract hundreds of people and are a complete scrum - but your only chance to see the school!

Our daughter will be travelling the same road - so keep in touch!
Marsha

Post by Marsha »

Thank you very much for your kind information. I certainly find this forum helpful and informative. I will keep my eye on this to keep abreast of what is happening so that I can provide the best possible support to my nephew.

Marsha
i-qah

Post by i-qah »

Hi Marsha

I thought it was worth mentioning incase you hadn't realised that Dr Challoners in Amersham, Bucks, follows the local authority's catchment areas. It is a very popular boys grammar school, and from my understanding (most) places this year went to boys within the catchment area, within 7miles of the school. Not sure where your nephew lives in rel. to the school.

The Bucks thread on the website is particulary good, with some very knowledgeable and helpful users, so you may want to look through these. This thread may help
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... ght=#18107

best of luck