So Ofqual now wants all exams computerised!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sassie'sDad

So Ofqual now wants all exams computerised!

Post by Sassie'sDad »

According to The Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/ed ... chdog.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is not a compelling argument to me. What do the rest of you think?
Looking for help

Re: So Ofqual now wants all exams computerised!

Post by Looking for help »

I agree, Sassie's Dad...I understand what they are saying about online resources etc, but cannot understand how they could have rigorous examinations taken on computers. The fiasco with the online marking last summer suggests that this would be a nightmare to implement. I can see pupils panicking and accidentally deleting whole answers by pushing the wrong buttons, and spending far too much time trying to understand what they are meant to do, rather than writing answers. Unless of course the idea behind it is that A Levels should become multiple choice exams :roll:
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

I don't see how it would work for essay type questions, as although students use the internet etc to research information, they don't always use them for writing essays etc. Many kids have little or no typing skills.

For multiple choice questions, it may work better. In fact, don't theory driving exams alrady use computers?

Ironically, the article had a spelling mistake in it.

"deepening their knowledg"
colchestermum

Post by colchestermum »

pheasantchick wrote:For multiple choice questions, it may work better. In fact, don't theory driving exams alrady use computers?
Yes they are done on computer and you get your result there and then. There is also a clock in the top corner counting down you time left, the option to flag a question you are not sure about to come back to at the end and a chance to review all answer before submitting. By the time you have picked up your bag and walked to the front desk, your result is waiting for you. (Ex Driving Instuctor so know the deal!! lol) And excellent system for multiple choice answers. Like you say not sure it would work for longer questions.
phaedra

Post by phaedra »

I take the article to mean that using computers to write essays and for research subtly changes the way you undertake the task, physically and mentally. Actually since I am old enough to have done both I would say not- so- subtly. It certainly alters the drafting process. The visuo-motor pathways in your brain differ between typing and writing too. My impression is that she means that the change of technique required of children who usually use technology (and I'd say overwhelmingly most do) is an extra challenge. This seems reasonable and fair. I have no idea about technical difficulties regarding losing work or cheating.