Ideas for good days out - please!!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Glos_Mum

Ideas for good days out - please!!

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
scarlett

Re: Ideas for good days out - please!!

Post by scarlett »

I was going to suggest Bath...but have just spotted you reside in Gloucestershire, so I'm wondering if you have done that one to death already !!

Someone else discussed York on another thread which ticks all the boxes.Depends how far afield you want to go ? and if you are staying for the weekend or just a day trip ?
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Yes, I was going to suggest Bath too, but thought perhaps you'd done that already.

As Scarlett says, it depends how far you want to travel. Manchester is good, we loved the museum there, at times it was like going back to the Victorian era when you walked past some of the displays - such as the polar bears which were stuffed and on display, they were cracking! Add that to the wrought iron and glass work above your head and it really was like going back in time. Link here: http://www.museum.manchester.ac.uk/

York's great, probably the most versatile place to visit, so many things to do and see and all in a relatively short space.

Edinburgh's one of the most fantastic cities ever. Again, very versatile with lots of shopping and loads of historic places (at Holyrood House you can even see the blood of Mary's secretary who was killed at her feet which still stains the wooden floor to this day - supposedly!) The underground cities are superb and Edinburgh Castle is worth it in itself.

Give us a bit more detail about how far etc and we'll see what we can come up with.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

We went to Canterbury yest which is a lovely historic town with lots of museums....including one with a roman bath... The Cathedral ...The Canterbury Tales...nice shops to browse in and lots of yummy places to eat.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

The ghost tours of Edinburgh are great too, I imagine they're suitable for children, scary and exciting. Mind you its a wee while since we did one, probably about 20 years ago :roll:
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

What about Liverpool - stadium tour if interested in football, The Beatles if a music lover, and lots of shops!
Glparent

Post by Glparent »

Closer to home - have you tried Stratford, Cardiff (great museums etc & super shopping I've heard!) or Leicester (absolutley fabulous space planetarium/museum, apparently)? I'm assuming you've done Oxford and newly refurbished Ashmolean??
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Have you 'done' the Cheddar Gorge? But I don't expect there's too much shopping round and about there :lol:
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

What about Portsmouth. The historic dockyard is fab. HMS Victory, HMS Worrior, harbour tour and great for all kids- Action Stations. This is a big warehouse full of flight simulators, climbing walls (40 ft high requiring harnesses) and revolving ones that change gradients and speed, cinema with pirate hostage taking v royal navy all action film plus lots more. A ticket is valid for a year (can be bought with Tesco vouchers). We ended up doing 3 trips from Essex to see and do everything.

On one of the trips we took the hovercraft over to the Isle of Wight for the afternoon. We got a rover bus ticket and ended up having a picnic tea on Sandown beach.

We have not done the spinnaker tower but friends say it's great. Gun wharf Quay is fab for shopping too.

We have just got back from a few days in Kent. We did Dover Castle, Canterbury Tales and Rochester castle.

We love this area especially Dicken's World (this was a big surprise and a real hit with the children- my DD even read Great Expectations abridged version(!) when we returned as she was so enthused!) and Chatham Docks (where HMS Victory was built). This dockyard lets you go into a decomissioned submarine, on a HMS Cavalier, on a ropery tour (one of the last ropemakers in Britain which is housed in its original timber framed half mile long warehouse.. which you get to see working and get to make your own rope to take home). You can also tour round the lifeboat museum and a reinactment called wooden walls with all the sights and smells of a shipyard years ago through the eyes of an apprentice boy. Again one ticket lasts a year, so you can go back over and over for free.

Enjoy your days out whatever you do!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now